Adobe Digital Editions takeover of pdf files

In summary, Adobe Digital Editions changed its default program for opening pdf files, which caused many of the pdf files on the user's computer to become Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 documents. To fix the problem, the user needs to change the default program used to open pdf files in their operating system or file manager.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Recently I installed the more recent version of Adobe Digital Editions (the new one is 4.5. I had 3.0 -- in fact, I still have also 3.0, as I am not sure whether I can discard 3.0, since 4.5 took over files from 3.0). But then I saw that many of the pdf files on my computer (which were not Adobe Digital Edition 3.0 documents) suddenly become Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 documents (not all, for some unknown reason, despite the fact that all the pdf documents on my computer were downloaded via Adobe Reader). I definitely do not want this. I could laboriously remove the DRM from each file, but that would be ridiculous. Is the only solution to uninstall 4.5?

Computer science news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
Recently I installed the more recent version of Adobe Digital Editions (the new one is 4.5. I had 3.0 -- in fact, I still have also 3.0, as I am not sure whether I can discard 3.0, since 4.5 took over files from 3.0). But then I saw that many of the pdf files on my computer (which were not Adobe Digital Edition 3.0 documents) suddenly become Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 documents (not all, for some unknown reason, despite the fact that all the pdf documents on my computer were downloaded via Adobe Reader). I definitely do not want this. I could laboriously remove the DRM from each file, but that would be ridiculous. Is the only solution to uninstall 4.5?
Most likely what has changed is not the file but the program the operating system or file manager has listed as the default to use in opening that file. Unfortunately, often when one installs a new program, the default setting of the installation program will be to change the OS or file manager defaults so that they use that program as default for opening files of the type it can open.

We see this imperialist behaviour from things like iTunes, QuickTime or Windows Media Player, and their IMage-viewing equivalents, that each make a grab for preference in opening sound or image files.

If this has happened, the icon showing beside the file in your file manager will change, but that doesn't matter. The file itself is untouched.

To fix it you need to change the default program used to open the file type .pdf in your OS or file manager. To find out how to do this, internet-search

"change default program for file type <operating system name> <file manager name>"

By the way, the name of the default registration in Windows is 'File Associations' so if you're on Windows you can search 'change file associations'

Likes nomadreid
Likes Tom.G

1. How does Adobe Digital Editions takeover of pdf files affect my existing pdf files?

Adobe Digital Editions takeover of pdf files does not affect your existing pdf files. It simply allows Adobe Digital Editions to open and manage pdf files in addition to its other supported file formats.

2. Can I still open and view my pdf files with other programs after the takeover?

Yes, you can still open and view your pdf files with other programs after the takeover. Adobe Digital Editions does not restrict access to your pdf files and you can still use other programs, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, to view them.

3. Do I need to have an Adobe account to use Adobe Digital Editions for pdf files?

Yes, you will need to have an Adobe account to use Adobe Digital Editions for pdf files. This is because Adobe Digital Editions requires you to authorize your computer with your Adobe account in order to access and manage pdf files.

4. Can I transfer my pdf files from Adobe Digital Editions to another device?

Yes, you can transfer your pdf files from Adobe Digital Editions to another device. Adobe Digital Editions allows you to transfer your purchased or borrowed pdf files to authorized devices, such as e-readers and tablets, for offline reading.

5. Will my pdf files be protected with DRM after the takeover?

It depends on the source of your pdf files. If your pdf files are purchased or borrowed from a DRM-protected source, then they will still be protected with DRM after the takeover. However, if your pdf files are not protected with DRM, then they will remain DRM-free in Adobe Digital Editions.