Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation involving money

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    A recent college student borrowed $100,000 at an interest rate of 9%. With salary increases, he expects to make payments at a monthly rate of 800*(1+t/120), where t is number of months since the loan was made.

(a.) Assuming that this payment schedule can be maintained, when will the loan be fully paid?

I figured that I would need to differentiate this equation (800*(1+t/120)), and i got:
    (96,000)/(14,400) = 6.66

I have a feeling that I am going about this all wrong. any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your title refers to a differential equation but I see no differential equation here. Also I don't see where you have included the 9% interest. Assuming that is annual interest, that would be the same as 9/12= 3/4% per month. Each month the amount he must pay increases by 3/4% and decreases by 800(1+ t/120). I have no idea why you would want to differentiate that or what you set the derivative equal to. If we let A(t) be the amount still owed after t months, then the change, from month t to t+1, is [itex]\delta[/itex]A= (1.0075) A(t)- 800(1+ t/120), giving you a "difference" equation to solve for A(t) and then solve A(t)= 0.

If you really intend using a differential equation, then we can "average" the amount he pays over the month. Also the interest of 9% per year, if we treat it as "compound continuously" becomes an amount of Ae0.09t. The differential equation is dA/dt= Ae0.09t- 800(1+ t/120). Solve that for A(t) (just integrate) and then solve A(t)= 0 for t.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?