Differential Equation with 4 states

In summary, the conversation discusses a reaction scheme with 4 states and their equilibrium from a starting point of A = 1 and B, C, D = 0. The forward and reverse rate constants for the reactions are provided and several equations are listed to express the change in each state over time. The person is seeking help in defining A, B, C, and D in terms of time and the rate constants. They are open to any level of assistance.
Coomb Raider
Dear Physics Forums,

I have a reaction scheme with 4 states where A<->B, B<->C and B<->D:
C
/
A - B
\
D

This proceeds to equilibrium from a start point of A = 1 and B, C, D = 0. Forward and reverse rate constants for A<->B are K(1) and K(-1), for BC: K(2), K(-2) and BD: K(3), K(-3). I can therefore write out quite a few equations:

A(t)+B(t)+C(t)+D(t) = 1
dA/dt = B(t) * K(-1) - A(t) * K(1)
dC/dt = B(t) * K(2) - C(t) * K(-2)
dD/dt = B(t) * K(3) - D(t) * K(-3)
dB/dt = A(t) * K(1) + C(t) * K(-2) + D(t) * K(-3) - B(t) *( K(3)+K(2)+(K(-1) )

at t=0: A=1, B=0, C=0, D=0, dA/dt = -A(t)K(1)
at t=inf: A*K(1) = B*K(-1), C*(K-2) = B*K(2), D*(K-3) = B*K(3)

What I need are 4 expressions defining A, B, C and D in terms of t and the rate constants. I've hit a brick wall pretty quickly just trying to rearrange and solve using e.g. integration factors, do I have enough expressions to pull this off? Perhaps a substitution factor approach is needed, but it's been 15 years since I was doing calculus on a regular basis.

Any level of help appreciated from gentle pointers to just doing it for me, I'm not proud!

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, the diagram didn't work. The slashes were supposed to run from state B upwards to C and downwards to D.

Apologies

1. What is a "Differential Equation with 4 states"?

A Differential Equation with 4 states is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the rate of change of a system and its current state. It involves four variables that are dependent on each other, and the equation is used to model the behavior of dynamic systems in various scientific fields.

2. What are the four states in a Differential Equation with 4 states?

The four states in a Differential Equation with 4 states are the four variables that are involved in the equation. These variables represent the current state of the system and how it changes over time. For example, in a biological system, the four states could be the population of four different species.

3. How is a Differential Equation with 4 states different from a regular Differential Equation?

A Differential Equation with 4 states is different from a regular Differential Equation in that it involves four variables instead of just one or two. This allows for a more complex and accurate representation of dynamic systems, making it a useful tool in various scientific fields such as biology, physics, and engineering.

4. What are some real-world applications of Differential Equations with 4 states?

Differential Equations with 4 states have various real-world applications, including modeling population dynamics in biology, predicting the behavior of chemical reactions in chemistry, and analyzing the stability of electrical circuits in engineering. They are also used in physics to study the motion of particles in a system.

5. How do scientists solve Differential Equations with 4 states?

There are various methods for solving Differential Equations with 4 states, including analytical and numerical techniques. Analytical methods involve finding a closed-form solution using mathematical operations, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution. Scientists often use a combination of these methods to solve complex Differential Equations with 4 states.