Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations Euler's method

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    Find the solution y = φ(t) of the given problem and evaluate φ(t) at t = 0.1, 0.2, 0.3,
    and 0.4.

1.y'=3+t-y
    y = φ(t)=t-2e^-t
    y(1)= 0+(0-2e^0)*(.1)=.8
    and the correct answer is 1.19516

2. y'=2y-1

What I'm getting stuck on is do I use the formula y(n)=y(n-1)+f(t(n-1),y(n-1)h because when I do I do not get the same answers as back of the book.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you get this? With y= t- 2e^{-t}, y'= 1+ 2e^{-t} while 3+ t- y= 3+ t+ t- 2e^{-t}= 3+ 2t- 2e^{-t}. They are NOT the same. In any case, you cannot get a specific solution to this without some "initial condition".

You are using Euler's method for this? Yes, Euler's method approximates y'= dy/dx by [itex]\Delta y/\Delta x= \Delta y/h[/itex] so your equation becomes [itex]\Delta y/h= f(t, y)[/itex] so that [itex]\Delta y= y_n- y_{n-1}= f(t, y)h[/itex] so that [itex]y_n= y_{n-1}+ f(t, y)h[/itex]. For this problem, f(t, y)= 2y- 1 so you just have [itex]y_n= y_{n-1}+ (2y_{n-1}-1)h[/itex]. What did you get?
    (And, again, you cannot solve a first order differential equation for a specific value with an "initial condition". What are you using for t0 and y0?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    y(0)=1/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook