Differential Equations of form y'(x)=f(ax+by+c)

In summary, my professor states that a differential equation of form y'(x)=f(ax+by+c) can be reduced to a separable equation by substituting in v=ax+by+c, but I don't see how. It appears that the process of solving for v is done by finding a polynomial that fits the given equation and then taking the derivative of that polynomial with respect to v.
khkwang

Homework Statement

My professor states that a differential equation of form y'(x)=f(ax+by+c) can be reduced to a separable equation by substituting in v=ax+by+c, but I don't see how.

Edit: more specifically: y'(x)= sqrt(3x -4y +2)

Homework Equations

y'(x)=f(ax+by+c)
v=ax+by+c

The Attempt at a Solution

If v=ax+by+c, then dv/dx = a + b*dy/dx
Then dv/dx = a + b*f(v)

But this isn't a separable differential equation... the constant a is in the way.

Edit: more specifically:
dv/dx = 3 - 4*sqrt(v)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does

[tex]\displaystyle\int \frac{dv}{a + bf(v)} = \displaystyle\int dx[/tex]

not work?

yeah, i was about to post that I'm a moron for not realizing such a solution a few moments ago...

But now I'm stuck on how to solve

[tex]\displaystyle\int \frac{dv}{3 - 4\sqrt{v}} = \displaystyle\int dx[/tex]

Last edited:
I just solved that particular integral by hand. I don't know if I should give away the method I used yet. It's an easy straightforward one, once you see what to do. No trigonometric substitution or anything like that, obviously.

I'll give it another shot. If i still can't figure it out in a while, I'll ask again?

Edit:

I think I solved it, but it's a little messy

[tex]
\displaystyle\int \frac{dv*(3 + 4\sqrt{v})}{9 - 16v} = \displaystyle\int dx
[/tex]

[tex]
\displaystyle\frac{-3*\ln{|9-16v|}}{16} + \frac{\sqrt{v}}{2} + c = x
[/tex]

[tex]
\displaystyle\ln{|64y - 48x -23|} - \frac{8\sqrt{3x - 4y + 2}}{3} - \frac{16x}{3} + c = 0
[/tex]

Is this good?

Last edited:
That method seems a little messy.

[tex]x = \int \frac{dv}{3-4\sqrt{v}} = \int \frac{3+4\sqrt{v}}{9-16v}dv[/tex]

[tex]x = \int \frac{3}{9-16v}dv + 4 \int \frac{\sqrt{v}}{9-16v}dv[/tex]

[tex]x = - \frac{3}{16}\ln|9-16v| + 4 \int \frac{\sqrt{v}}{9-16v}dv[/tex]

I fear the second integral is not equal to sqrt(v)/2.

My suggestion would have been to use the substitution u = sqrt(v), then the integral becomes

[tex]x = \int \frac{2u}{3-4u}du[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]x = \int \left( - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3/2}{3-4u}\right) du[/tex]

I think. Might want to double check the division.

Ahh substitution. It seems obvious now lol thanks.

But can you tell me how you brought the 1/2 out of the last equation to get rid of the extra u? I can see that the last two equations are equivalent, but I don't understand the process. Did you just guess at taking -1/2 out? Or is there some basic rule I'm forgetting? On another problem right now i need to get the integral of (2u + 1)du/(5u + 5). Would the same steps apply there?

Edit: Scratch helping me solve (2u + 1)du/(5u +5), I figured it out using the same method you showed me. Still, could you tell me if that process has a name? I don't feel like I've ever been taught it before. Or is it just supposed to be obvious to the student?

Last edited:
Cheers

1. What is the general form of a differential equation with the given format?

The general form of a differential equation with the format y'(x) = f(ax+by+c) is known as a first-order linear differential equation, where the derivative of the dependent variable y is equal to a linear combination of the independent variable x and the dependent variable y, plus a constant term c. This format is commonly used in many areas of mathematics and science to model various physical phenomena.

2. What is the meaning of the parameters a, b, and c in the differential equation?

The parameter a represents the coefficient of the independent variable x, while b represents the coefficient of the dependent variable y. The constant term c is known as the initial condition, which is the value of y at a specific point. These parameters determine the behavior and solution of the differential equation.

3. What are the possible solutions to a first-order linear differential equation?

The solutions to a first-order linear differential equation can be found using various methods, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and exact equations. The general solution is a family of curves that satisfy the differential equation, and the particular solution is a specific curve that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial condition.

4. How is a differential equation with this format solved numerically?

To solve a differential equation numerically, various numerical methods can be used, such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. These methods involve approximating the solution by computing the values of the dependent variable at specific points using the given differential equation and initial condition.

5. Can a differential equation with this format have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation with the format y'(x) = f(ax+by+c) can have multiple solutions, as it represents a family of curves rather than a single curve. The number of solutions depends on the initial condition and the nature of the function f(ax+by+c). However, for a given initial condition, there can only be one unique solution.