Differential problem Confused :S

In summary, when solving an initial value problem with different methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficient and using Laplace transform, it is possible to get different answers. In this specific problem, the equation is y"-4y'=5e2t+1, with initial conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=10. The general solution to the homogeneous equation is Ae2t+Be-2t. To find a specific solution, one needs to use the form Cte2t+B, with the "B" term to account for the "1" on the right hand side of the original equation.
malee006
Hey ! i am having a problem in differential initial value problem, can it happen that solving an initial value problem with two different methods (e.g. method of undetermined coefficient and using Laplace) give us two different answer!

the equation is : y"-4'=(5e^-2t)+1 y(0)=0 y'(0)=10

and if possible can u do it by method of undetermined coefficient bcoz i think i am doing a mistake in tht method becoz of that '1' on right hand side and no comparing coefficient on the other side!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-4=5e^{-2t}+1[/tex]

Aux.Eq'n=[tex]r^2-4=0 \Rightarrow (r+2)(r-2)=0 \Rightarrow r= \pm2[/tex]

[tex]y_{CF}=Ae^{2t}+Be^{-2t}[/tex]

I think you got this far right?

Well since -2 is one root of the aux. eq'n. The PI for the exponential should be xe-2t

Yeah, I agree. Try laplace transform method and for the second method find the roots of the characteristic equation.

I personally think the "Laplace Transform method" is overkill.

Malee006, I presume the equation is y"- 4y'= 5e2t+ 1. Then, as Rockfreak667 said, the general solution to the homogeneous equation is Ae2t[/sub]+ Be-2t[/itex].

Since e2t is already a solution, you need to look for a specific solution to the entire equation of the form Cte2t+ B. The "B" is to get the "1" on the right hand side of the original equation.

1. What is a differential problem?

A differential problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function or equation that satisfies certain conditions or constraints. It is often used to model real-world situations in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a differential problem solved?

There are various methods for solving differential problems, including separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas or techniques such as the chain rule or integration by parts. The method used depends on the type of differential problem and the available information.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential problems?

Ordinary differential problems involve finding a function that satisfies a given equation with respect to a single independent variable, while partial differential problems involve finding a function that satisfies a given equation with respect to multiple independent variables. In other words, ordinary differential problems deal with functions of one variable, while partial differential problems deal with functions of multiple variables.

4. What are some common applications of differential problems?

Differential problems are used in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model various phenomena and make predictions.

5. What skills are needed to solve differential problems?

To solve differential problems, one needs a strong understanding of calculus, particularly concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. Additionally, problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail are important for successfully solving differential problems.