Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiatial equation

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    Does $$ ∅*(\frac{d}{dξ})=∅*(\frac{d1}{dξ}) $$?

If is true,
    Does multiplying a function and a derivative equals to the derivative of that function? For e.g. $$ ∅*(\frac{d}{dξ})=\frac{d∅}{dξ} $$ where ∅ is a function of ξ

But isn't it supposed to be like this(based on the product rule), $$ ∅*(\frac{d}{dξ}) = ∅*(\frac{d1}{dξ}) = \frac{d}{dξ}*∅-1*\frac{d∅}{dξ} $$ ?

What if ∅ is a constant or is not a function of ξ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obviously no. Derivative symbol with nothing next to the right of it constitutes no meaningful quantities, no numerical value can be associated with it (if the variable is given a number), it's just an instruction to differentiate whatever stands on the right. If you put something to the right of a derivative (like you did in the RHS of that equation), you have given a numerical value to the entire expression.
    Therefore
    $$
    ∅*(\frac{d}{dξ})\neq \frac{d∅}{dξ}
    $$

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    Thanks!
    upload_2016-1-31_19-20-24.png
    upload_2016-1-31_19-20-46.png
    But then how do I get from equation (12) to equation (13)? The only way I can do it is when
    $$
    ∅*(\frac{d}{dξ}) = \frac{d∅}{dξ}.
    $$

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did you get source from? Is it the same source as the one with harmonic oscillator in another thread of yours?

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Yes.
    Source: http://vixra.org/pdf/1307.0007v1.pdf

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe that's not the common and standard way to write the derivative of a function; in equation (12), ##\phi_0## should be on the right of the bracketed terms.

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7
    Ok thanks again for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook