Differentiating Euler formula vs. multiplying by i

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating both sides of Euler's formula with respect to x and multiplying both sides by i to yield the additive inverse. The mistake is that the person misremembered Euler's formula and the correct version is e^ix = cos(x) + i sin(x). The formula can also be derived using Taylor Series.
TL;DR Summary
I ran into an apparent contradiction when working with Euler's formula and I can't find the mistake.
I differentiated both sides of Euler's formula with respect to x :
e^ix = sin x + i cos x => ie^ix = cos x - i sin x

Then for comparison I multiplied both sides of Euler's formula by i:
e^ix = sin x + i cos x => ie^ix = i sin x - cos x

Each of these two procedures seems to yield the additive inverse of the other, and I can't seem to figure out why even after a couple of hours of going back over it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ke7ijo said:
I differentiated both sides of Euler's formula with respect to x :
e^ix = sin x + i cos x
The mistake is that you have misremembered Euler's formula. The correct version is ##e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)##, which differs from what you wrote.

You can think of it this way. On the unit circle, with ##x## being the angle a ray makes with the horizontal axis, ##e^{ix}## represents the point on the unit circle. The coordinates of the point are ##(\cos(x), \sin(x))##. As a complex number, this point is ##\cos(x) + i\sin(x)##.

Likes WWGD
Thank you! That's it.

Likes berkeman
if you are mathematically curious, look at the different derivations of Euler's formula. My favorite is the one that uses Taylor Series.

Suggested for: Differentiating Euler formula vs. multiplying by i

Back