Simple Derivation Of Euler's Formula And Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple way to derive Euler's famous relation for those learning pre-calculus/calculus. It involves using basic knowledge of complex numbers and properties of Euler's number, e, and considering small angles and rotations. The conversation also mentions the power of complex numbers in mathematics and the potential for textbooks to include more intuitive and simple explanations for difficult topics. It is noted that this is a non-rigorous approach and may require complex analysis for full rigor.
Here is a simple way to get Euler's relation for those learning pre-calculus/calculus, so the trigonometric addition formula and the derivative of sine and cosine are easy. We will assume some basic knowledge of complex numbers and properties of Euler's number, e.

Consider a small segment of a unit circle with a small angle b at the origin in the complex plane. Draw a line from the ends of the radius of the small arc. You will notice since the angle is small, the line is very close to a tangent of the circle of length b, with it getting better as b gets smaller, i.e. it is at right angles to the radius and of length b. Consider b so small for all practical purposes (don't you love that in non-rigorous calculus) it is at right angles to the radius and length b. Being at right angles means it is multiplied by ib. So take the lower radius of the arc, multiply it by (1+ib), and get the upper radius, i.e. you have rotated it through an angle b. Take any angle b. Divide it by a large number n, and you get (1 +ib/n)^n rotates a complex number through an angle b. You may already know that (1+ ib/n)^n, when n is large, is e^ib, but I will prove it.

d(e^ib)/db = ie^ib or (e^(ib + idb) - e^(ib))/db = ie^(ib). So e^(idb) - 1 = idb. e^(idb) = 1 + idb. Hence e^(ib) = e^(n*ib/n) = (e^(ib/n))^n. If n is large b/n is small so we have e^(ib) = (1+ ib/n)^n.

Hence e^(ib) = e^(ib)*1. This means 1 on the real line of the complex plane is rotated through the angle b. But a complex number of length 1 at an angle a to the real line is cos(a) + i*sine(a).

We have thus shown Eulers famous relation e^(ia) = cos(a) + i*sine(a).

Simply differentiate it and you get ie^(ia) = d(cos(a))/da + i*d(sine(a))/da and we get d(cos(a))/da = sine (a) and d(sine(a))/da = --cos (a).

It is easy to use e^i(a+b) = e^(ia)*e^(ib) to get the formula for sine(a+b) and cos(a+b) and will be left as an exercise for the reader.

Compare how easy deriving these formulas are to the usual way found in textbooks. You can see the real power of complex numbers and why it is so important in mathematics. Textbooks could include these slightly difficult topics that often take pages to prove and make them simple, short and transparent. And the other issue I harp on about - really, people should do calculus and precalculus simultaneously.

BTW this is non-rigorous or intuitive calculus. To make it fully rigorous, you need complex analysis, holomorphic functions and all that. But everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks
Bill

Likes stevendaryl and scottdave
Physics news on Phys.org
Very neat.

For what it's worth, you can approximately get the derivatives of cosine and sine just from that triangle you drew at the start for a small rotation.

The line between ##(\cos(\theta),sin(\theta))## and ##(\cos(\theta+\epsilon),\sin(\theta+\epsilon))## is orthogonal to the radius of the circle so is proportional to ##(-\sin(\theta),\cos(\theta))##.

Likes bhobba
This reminds me of the Mathologer video about e

Likes bhobba

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the trigonometric functions sine and cosine with the complex exponential function. It is written as eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. How is Euler's formula derived?

Euler's formula can be derived using the Taylor series expansion of the exponential function and the definitions of sine and cosine in terms of the complex exponential. By equating the real and imaginary parts of the resulting equation, we can obtain the familiar form of eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x).

3. What are the applications of Euler's formula?

Euler's formula has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in solving differential equations, Fourier analysis, and complex analysis. It also has applications in signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can Euler's formula be extended to other exponential functions?

Yes, Euler's formula can be extended to other exponential functions, such as eax = cos(ax) + i*sin(ax), where a is any real number. This is known as the generalized Euler's formula.

5. Is there a geometric interpretation of Euler's formula?

Yes, Euler's formula has a geometric interpretation in the complex plane. The exponential function eix can be represented as a point on the unit circle, with the angle x determining its position. This connection between trigonometry and complex numbers is the basis for many geometric applications of Euler's formula.