Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of coordinate wrt another coordinate

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    When I take the differential of y wrt t (being t a parameter (time)) I get the velocity of the y-coordinate, if take the second differential of y wrt t, thus I get the aceleration of the y-coordinate... ok! But what means to differentiate the y-coordinate wrt x-coordinate, or wrt y, or then differentiate twice wrt to y, or x, or xy. ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Do you mean the derivative or the differential?
    A common situation would be if the movement is constrained so that
    f(x,y,t)=0
    by the Implicit function theorem we can think of x and y as each being functions of time, or as being functions of each other.

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3
    lurflurf has answered the question nicely.

I would add the following link, which is the most beautiful explanation of partial derivatives which I've encountered.
    http://www.av8n.com/physics/partial-derivative.htm

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4
    differential in the inverse sense of integral, ie, "the differential of f wrt to x results the derivative of f"...

His answer did not clear anything to me. You text-link is very big, gives to summarize?

6. Apr 14, 2014 #5
    It is good to picture the situation: What you have is the plane ##\mathbb R ^2## and points ##(x,y)## on that plane. Then you put a curve ##\gamma## into that plane via
    ##
    \gamma(t)= (x(t), y(t)) \, .
    ##
    Taking the derivative with respect to time gives you the velocity $$\dot \gamma (t)$$. Getting rid of the parameter by solving y for x gives you the (image of the) curve without telling you how fast you go along that curve. Then differentiating ##y## with respect to ##x## tells you the slope of that curve at point ##(x, y(x))##. For simplicity I assumed there is only on ##y## value corresponding to a given ##x##-value.

7. Apr 14, 2014 #6
    From the top of the link:

Executive summary: Partial derivatives have many important uses in math and science. We shall see that a partial derivative is not much more or less than a particular sort of directional derivative. The only trick is to have a reliable way of specifying directions ... so most of this note is concerned with formalizing the idea of direction. This results in a nice graphical representation of what “partial derivative” means. Perhaps even more importantly, the diagrams go hand-in-hand with a nice-looking exact formula in terms of wedge products.

My summary: If you really want to understand partial derivatives, this link is a good reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook