Difficult linear algebra problem

In summary, the problem is to find a matrix form of the operator A in order to invert it and obtain x1 and x2. It involves shifting matrices and sums, and x1 and x2 can be thought of as a 3D matrix or a stack of matrices. However, it may be impossible to solve due to the definition of shifting matrices.
Klandhee
Hi, my problem is simple enough to write down but (to me) seems quite difficult to solve.

My equation is as follows

A[x1 x2] = I.

Here I is some known matrix, and A is an operator which applies a shifting matrix and sums. That is A[x1 x2] = s1x1 + s2x2, where s1 and s2 are two shifting matrices (continuously it can be thought of as convolving with a delta function). x1 and x2 are two unknown matrices of the same dimension as I. Ultimately I wish to find a matrix form for A so that I can invert it and obtain x1 and x2

So as you can see [x1 x2] can be thought of as a "stack" of matrices, or a 3D matrix (or a tensor?). However I'm very unfamiliar with the mathematics of tensors so one idea I had was to convert x1 and x2 into columns (i.e., just shopping the matrix into slices and adding one ontop of the other). That way [x1 x2] would be a matrix, and I would have lost no information.

From here, however, I am very confused and not sure where to go.

If anyone has any ideas on what to do (or if this problem is impossible) it would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't sound like homework so I will assume it's not (and therefore not feel bad about providing a "solution").

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a shifting matrix. The only definition I know of is matrices which are 0 everywhere except on precisely one diagonal either below or above the main diagonal where they are 1. For instance in the 2x2 case
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right], \quad\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]
are the shift matrices and in the 3x3 case we have:
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right], \quad\left[\begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right] [/tex]
If this is the case, then we can easily see that it is impossible to solve in general. For example define:
[tex]A[x_1,x_2] = \left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right] x_1 +\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right]x_2[/tex]
[tex]I = \left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]
Then we have infinitely many solutions of the form
[tex]x_1 = \left[\begin{array}{cc} a & b \\ c & d \end{array} \right] \qquad x_2 = \left[\begin{array}{cc} -a & -b \\ e & f \end{array} \right][/tex]
for arbitrary reals a,b,c,d,e,f.

What is a "Difficult linear algebra problem"?

A "Difficult linear algebra problem" is a mathematical problem that involves the manipulation and analysis of linear equations and matrices. These problems often require a deep understanding of algebraic concepts and computational skills.

Why is linear algebra important in science?

Linear algebra is important in science because it provides a powerful tool for modeling and analyzing real-world systems. Many natural phenomena and scientific processes can be described and understood using linear equations and matrices. Linear algebra also has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are some common challenges when solving difficult linear algebra problems?

Some common challenges when solving difficult linear algebra problems include understanding the problem, choosing the appropriate method or algorithm, and avoiding computational errors. It is also important to have a strong grasp of the underlying concepts and to be able to interpret the results in a meaningful way.

What techniques can be used to solve difficult linear algebra problems?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve difficult linear algebra problems, including Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and eigenvalue decomposition. Other methods such as determinant and inverse calculations, diagonalization, and matrix factorization can also be useful depending on the specific problem.

Are there any resources available to help with difficult linear algebra problems?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with difficult linear algebra problems. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, there are software programs and calculators that can assist with the computational aspects of linear algebra. It is also helpful to seek guidance from professors, tutors, or peers who have a strong understanding of the subject.