Difficulty with Sakurai, Ch.1, Problem # 9

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the eigenvector for a given equation involving spin matrices and a unit vector. The attempt at a solution involves solving for the coefficients using two equations, but one of the coefficients appears to vanish. The conversation concludes with a question about the role of other spin matrices in the solution.
quantumkiko

Homework Statement

Determine the eigenvector for (S \cdot \hat{n}) |eigenvector> = (\hbar)/2 |eigenvector> where S = (\hbar)/2 \sigma. The sigmas are the Pauli spin matrices and \hat{n} = sin\beta cos\alpha \hat{i} + sin\beta\ sin\alpha \hat{j} + cos\beta \hat{k}

You have to solve for the coefficients a and b of

|eigenvector> = a|+> + b|->.

2. The attempt at a solution

It seems like when I try to solve for one coefficient, say a, is seems to vanish.

a(\cos\beta - 1) + b\sin\beta e^{-i\alpha} = 0
a\sin\beta e^{i\alpha} - b(\cos\beta + 1) = 0

For example, isolating b in the 1st equation,

b = - \frac{a(\cos\beta - 1)}{ \sin\beta e^{-i\alpha}}.

If you plug this in the 2nd equation you get a factor of a for all terms, therefore the a's cancel each other.

But Sakurai's solution is |eigenvector> = cos(\beta / 2)|+> + sin{\beta / 2} e^{i\alpha}|->. How can I get this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quantumkiko! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a beta: β and a sigma: σ :wink:)
quantumkiko said:
Determine the eigenvector for [itex](S \cdot \hat{n})[/itex] …

It seems like when I try to solve for one coefficient, say a, is seems to vanish.

[tex]a(\cos\beta - 1) + b\sin\beta e^{-i\alpha} = 0[/tex]
[tex]a\sin\beta e^{i\alpha} - b(\cos\beta + 1) = 0[/tex]

hmm … i can see σ3 in there somewhere …

with eigenvectors which would be (a,b) = (1,0) or (0,1) if β = 0 or π …

but whatever happened to poor little σ1 and σ2? :redface:

(btw you have to put [noparse][tex] before and [/tex] after for the LaTeX to work in this forum[/noparse] :wink:)

Thank you very much! ^^

1. How can I solve Sakurai, Ch.1, Problem # 9?

The best way to solve this problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement, identify the given information and what you need to solve for, and then apply relevant concepts and equations from the textbook or lecture notes. It may also be helpful to work through similar examples and practice problems to familiarize yourself with the problem-solving techniques.

2. What concepts do I need to know to solve Sakurai, Ch.1, Problem # 9?

This problem likely involves concepts related to quantum mechanics, such as wavefunctions, operators, and eigenvalues. It may also require knowledge of mathematical techniques such as solving differential equations or linear algebra. A solid understanding of the material covered in the first chapter of Sakurai's textbook and any relevant lecture notes will be helpful.

3. I am having difficulty understanding Sakurai, Ch.1, Problem # 9. What should I do?

If you are having trouble understanding the problem, it may be helpful to review the relevant concepts and equations from the textbook or lecture notes. You may also try discussing the problem with your classmates or asking for clarification from your instructor. Additionally, working through similar examples and practice problems can help improve your understanding of the material.

4. Are there any tips for solving Sakurai, Ch.1, Problem # 9?

Some tips for solving this problem may include: carefully reading and understanding the problem statement, identifying the given information and what you need to solve for, using relevant concepts and equations from the textbook or lecture notes, and checking your answer to make sure it is reasonable and follows the correct units and significant figures.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve Sakurai, Ch.1, Problem # 9?

The use of a calculator may be helpful when solving this problem, as it can save time and reduce the chance of making arithmetic errors. However, it is important to understand the concepts and show your work, rather than solely relying on a calculator to solve the problem. Make sure to also use correct units and significant figures in your calculations.