1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction through a ring aparture

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1.compute the diffraction pattern through a ring aparture, internal radius a, external radius b, wave length lambda. the incoming wave is a monochromatic, plane wave, vertical to the ring plane.
    2.how will the diffraction expression change when a->b?
    3.near the aparture a narrow lens with f=10 cm' lambda=1micrometer, a=2mm, b=2.05mm.
    draw the intensity i the lens focus plane, according to the first computation, and themn according to the second.

2. Relevant equations

fernahufer diffraction equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did article 1 and got an electrical field with 2 bessel functions, one minus the other. I dont really know how to do 2,3.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2
    Well, your solution to 1 sounds good because the solution to a circular aperture (easily found on the internet) involves a bessel function and you should be able to do a superposition to get a disk. For 2 you should be able to just take a limit of you equation from part 1 as a goes to b. Otherwise you could solve a ring aperture of delta function width.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook