1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion of particles in batch reactors

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    Hello everybody, I dont know if this is the right place to post this question. Sorry for that.

I have the following system: small particles (I dont know exactly the composition) in a batch stilled tank reactor in which i add some hydrochloric acid.
    How I evaluate the concentration of saturation of those particles into the bulk?
    I am able to calculate the loss in volume vs time considering the total volume.
    I practice if we consider the solid particles as "A" and "Ca" the concentration of A, then I want to evaluate [Ca(saturation)-Ca(at a time t)] i am able to calculate Ca(at a time t) but i am not sure about Ca(saturation).
    I was thinking to consider Ca(saturation) as the concentration of all A dissolved into the bulk but I am not sure about it.

Thanks very much, you can also write me at: dinodeblasio@yahoo.it

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you tried using the value of the solubility product of the ion A in water, to calculate the saturation concentration?

Also, what is the HCl supposed to do? Does it react with the solid particles, or with whatever diffuses out from the solid?

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  4. May 11, 2008 #3
    diffusion of solid particles

Hello and thank you for answering,
    my solid is suppose to be some kind of limestone CaCO3, it reacts with HCl and releases Ca++ ions. In literature there are data on the concentration of saturation of Ca++ in water, but the value is too small because if i measure sperimentally the mass of solid lost and convert it to moles/liter, the moles of Ca++ should be much more. For this reason there is some other solid (impurities) that react with HCl or just dissolve into the water but in the mathematical model i dont know what concentration of saturation of Ca++ i should consider because in the mathematical model [Ca(saturation)-Ca(at time t)] must be positive.
    Is that completely wrong to consider the saturation for that system as the total moles of samples dissolved? The amount of acid I put into the reactor should be sufficient to dissolve all the Ca++, HCl is in a bit excess.
    Thanks again.
    Dino

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?