Dilution & Strength: Is More Concentrated Better?

In summary, according to Ostwald's dilution law, a dilute acid has a higher dissociation degree and is a better electrolyte compared to a more concentrated acid. However, the pH for the concentrated sample is significantly higher. This is due to the concentration of the acid, as shown by the equation Ka=(conc.)*alpha*alpha(for weak electrolytes). The higher the concentration, the stronger the acid is perceived to be. The person who originally asked the question apologized for not being able to help and asked for assistance in posting their own question.
aim1732
Is it right to say that a dilute acid is stronger than the same acid which has higher molarity?
By Ostwald's dilution law I can say that dissociation degree for the dilute sample is more. So it is a better electrolyte. But I also find that pH for concentrated sample is appreciably more.
Ka=(conc.)*alpha*alpha(for weak electrolytes)
So [H+]=sqrt(Ka*conc.)
Actually I can not stomach what I have heard-that a dilute acid is stronger than its concentrated counterpart. I have always thought the more concentrated the stronger it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! I'm very very sorry that I cannot help you with your problem but I was just wondering if you could help me out very quickly? I would like to post a question of my own but I'm having trouble finding out where to do so!
So sorry for the unhelpful post, good luck though! :)

SoConfused__ said:
Hey! I'm very very sorry that I cannot help you with your problem but I was just wondering if you could help me out very quickly? I would like to post a question of my own but I'm having trouble finding out where to do so!
So sorry for the unhelpful post, good luck though! :)

Never mind. Please check your Member Profile.

Related to Dilution & Strength: Is More Concentrated Better?

1. What is dilution and why is it important?

Dilution is the process of reducing the concentration of a substance by adding more solvent. It is important because it allows us to control the strength or potency of a substance, making it safer and more effective for use.

2. How do you calculate dilution and strength?

Dilution and strength can be calculated using the formula: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. To calculate strength, simply divide the final concentration by the initial concentration.

3. Is more concentrated always better?

No, more concentrated is not always better. While a higher concentration may seem more potent, it can also increase the risk of adverse effects and make it more difficult to accurately measure and dose the substance. Diluting a substance can make it safer and easier to handle.

4. What are the risks of using a highly concentrated substance?

The risks of using a highly concentrated substance include potential side effects, inaccurate dosing, and increased risk of toxicity. Highly concentrated substances should be handled with caution and diluted when necessary.

5. How does dilution affect the effectiveness of a substance?

Dilution can affect the effectiveness of a substance by reducing its potency. However, in some cases, dilution can also make a substance more effective by allowing it to be properly absorbed and distributed in the body. The optimal concentration for effectiveness may vary depending on the substance and its intended use.