1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional analysis - atomic bomb explosion radius

1. Oct 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

An atomic explosion can be approximated as the release of a large amount of energy ##E## from a point source. The explosion results in an expanding spherical fireball bounded by powerful shock wave. Let ##R## be the radius of the shock wave and assume that ##R=f(E,T,\rho_0, p_0)## where ##t## is the elapsed time after the explosion takes place, ##\rho_0## is the ambient air density and ##p_0## is the ambient air pressure. Using dimensional analysis show that ##R=\frac{Et^2}{\rho_0}g(\pi_1)## where ##\pi_1## is a dimensionless variable. Choose it so that it involves ##E## to a negative exponent. What is ##\pi_1##?

2. Relevant equations

##R=f(E,T,\rho_0, p_0)##
    ##R=\frac{Et^2}{\rho_0}g(\pi_1)## where ##\pi_1## is a dimensionless variable

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is that the relationship does not appear to be homogeneous. If ##\pi_1## is dimensionless, then the units of ##\frac{Et^2}{\rho_0}## must be the same as the units of ##R##. However,

##[E] = ML^2 T^{-2}##
    ##[t] = T##
    ##[\rho_0] = ML^{-3}##
    ##[p_0] = ML^{-1}T^{-2}##
    ##[R]=L##, where M is express in kilograms, T is in seconds, L is in meters.

What is it that I'm not getting right here?

On the other hand, I expressed ##\pi_1## as follows: ##\pi_1 = \frac{p_0 R^3}{E}##. Is this correct?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2014 #2

yes, it's correct. The dimension ##p_0 R^3## is same for E.
    ##ML^{-1}T^{-2}## * ##L^{3}## = ##ML^2T^{-2}##

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  4. Oct 12, 2014 #3
    Thanks. But do you think the expression given in the problem statement is correct at all? The problem is that ##R## has units of ##L##, but ##\frac{Et^2}{\rho_0}## has units of ##L^{-5}##.

5. Oct 12, 2014 #4
    unit of ##Et^2## is ##ML^2T^{-2} * T^2## then ##ML^2##
    so unit of ##R## is ##\frac{ML^2}{ML{-3}}## = ##L^5##

6. Oct 12, 2014 #5
    Sorry, I meant ##L^5##. So then the expression is not quite homogeneous. Namely, the units of ##R## are ##L##, but the units of ##\frac{ET^2}{\rho_0}## are ##L^5##. Am I correct?

7. Oct 12, 2014 #6
    yes , you are. Below file can be useful
    http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/42045/228875559.pdf?sequence=1 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Oct 12, 2014 #7
    Thanks. So, the ##\frac{ET^2}{\rho_0}## should be raised to the power of 1/5, shouldn't it?

9. Oct 12, 2014 #8
    yes, it's right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted