Dimensions vs. degrees of freedom

In summary, dimensions and degrees of freedom are not the same thing. While they may have a similar analogy as shapes and dimensions, they are distinct concepts. In a 3D mechanics context, objects can have 6 degrees of freedom, which is not the same as the 3 dimensions of space. The configuration space can have a different number of dimensions than the phase space, which is why it can be misleading to talk about the number of degrees of freedom solely in terms of the configuration space. A continuous system cannot be chaotic without at least a 3 dimensional phase space. A circle is a 1D manifold embedded in a 2D space, but has 3 degrees of freedom when considering its equation and the space of all circles.
Hornbein
TL;DR Summary
Are dimensions the same thing as degrees of freedom?
Are dimensions the same thing as degrees of freedom?

Would you say that a circle is a one dimensional object embedded in a two dimensional space?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes the second question is true if you are considering just the circumference. Now dimensions aren't the same thing as degrees of freedom, but they kind of have the same analogy as shapes and dimensions.

Hornbein said:
Summary: Are dimensions the same thing as degrees of freedom?
No. A simple pendulum moves in 2D but has only one degree of freedom.

• Skeptical
Likes Jarvis323, malawi_glenn and FactChecker
jedishrfu said:
In a 3D mechanics context, objects can have 6 degrees of freedom. They aren’t the same thing.

The configuration space is 3 dimensional, but the phase space is 6 dimensional.

PeroK said:
No. A simple pendulum moves in 2D but has only one degree of freedom.

The configuration space is 1D, but the phase space is 2 dimensional, thus the dynamical system has 2 degrees of freedom.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Jarvis323 said:
The configuration space is 1D, but the phase space is 2 dimensional, thus the dynamical system has 2 degrees of freedom.
The second degree of freedom must be in your imagination!

• Skeptical
Likes Jarvis323, malawi_glenn and FactChecker
PeroK said:
This issue is unclear in my head. To specify the "state vector" for a simple point 1D pendulum requires two numbers . Both the position and momentum appear quadratically in the Hamiltonian so equipartition applies to both.
For a point free particle only the velocity appears for equipartition. So what is the actual specification of DOF?

PeroK said:
The second degree of freedom is momentum.

Likes malawi_glenn
Jarvis323 said:
Are you talking about a damped pendulum?

Jarvis323 said:
You're saying that a particle moving with (undamped) SHM in 1D and a particle moving chaotically in 1D both have two degrees of freedom?

In other words, you're saying that the constraint in terms of the relationship between position and momentum in SHM does not result in a reduction in the number of degrees of freedom?

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Jarvis323
hutchphd said:
This issue is unclear in my head. To specify the "state vector" for a simple point 1D pendulum requires two numbers . Both the position and momentum appear quadratically in the Hamiltonian so equipartition applies to both.
For a point free particle only the velocity appears for equipartition. So what is the actual specification of DOF?
I can't find any corroboration that a simple pendulum has two degrees of freedom. A double pendulum has two degrees of freedom according to, for example:

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/explore/michaelspages/Double.htm

• Skeptical
Likes Jarvis323
What if take into account the color of the pendulum? It has 3 dof then?

PeroK said:
You're saying that a particle moving with (undamped) SHM in 1D and a particle moving chaotically in 1D both have two degrees of freedom?

In other words, you're saying that the constraint in terms of the relationship between position and momentum in SHM does not result in a reduction in the number of degrees of freedom?

Each of your phase space variables are degrees of freedom. I guess parameters are too. So the number of degrees of freedom would be the number of dimensions of the phase space (for Hamiltonian system that is configuration space/generalized coordinates and velocity or momentum), plus the number of dimensions of the parameter space.

I believe you need at least a 3D phase space for a continuous system to be chaotic.

PeroK said:
I can't find any corroboration that a simple pendulum has two degrees of freedom. A double pendulum has two degrees of freedom according to, for example:

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/explore/michaelspages/Double.htm

This source is also talking about the number of dimensions of the configuration space as a number of degrees of freedom, which is misleading I think, but I guess it can be true if you are talking about the number of degrees of freedom in just configuration space instead of the total number of degrees of freedom of the system.

Jarvis323 said:
Each of your phase space variables are degrees of freedom. I guess parameters are too. So the number of degrees of freedom would be the number of dimensions of the phase space (for Hamiltonian system that is configuration space/generalized coordinates and velocity or momentum), plus the number of dimensions of the parameter space.
Do you have a reference where the simple pendulum is described as having two degrees of freedom. Everything I can find online says one degree of freedom.

• Skeptical
Likes Jarvis323
Jarvis323 said:
I believe you need at least a 3D phase space for a continuous system to be chaotic.
What's the third degree of freedom?

PeroK said:
Do you have a reference where the simple pendulum is described as having two degrees of freedom. Everything I can find online says one degree of freedom.
Read my previous post. I suspect you're using the term degrees of freedom in a limiting context (configuration space) which doesn't capture the full phase space. As an example, the equations for the double pendulum that you linked has a 4D phase space. So I would say that system has 4 degrees of freedom. Well, more actually since you should include the parameters according to the definitions I've seen.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
What's the third degree of freedom?
You said something about a chaotic 1d system, and I was just pointing out that a continuous system cannot be chaotic unless it has at least a 3 dimensional phase space. Not to say a system with only a 1D configuration space can't be chaotic.

Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Would you say that a circle is a one dimensional object embedded in a two dimensional space?

A circle is a 1D manifold embedded in a 2D space.

I would say, in terms of the degrees of freedom, for the equation of a circle, it should capture all of the information one would need to draw it. That would be the center and the radius, so 3 degrees of freedom total, or more if you consider color.

But also the space of circles has 3 dimensions. Any time there is a degree of freedom, I think that degree of freedom can be described as an ability to vary in a dimension.

So I think there is a subtleness about the differences between the terms. For example, if a space is static, like Euclidean space, I wouldn't say that space has degrees of freedom, but it does obviously have dimensions. But if the space can be distorted or varied, or there is a family of spaces based on some parameters, then you could talk about the degrees of freedom.

Likewise, it might be more precise to say a system can vary in N dimensions or is N dimensional rather than to say it has N dimensions. But I don't think enough people care about that level of specificity in language as long as they can understand each other well enough.

That's my understanding at least.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
I would say that a circle has 360 degrees of freedom!

Jarvis323 said:
But also the space of circles has 3 dimensions. Any time there is a degree of freedom, I think that degree of freedom can be described as an ability to vary in a dimension.
That is the space of circles in a plane. If you want circles in 3-space, you need one more degree of freedom for the location of the center and two more degrees of freedom to nail down the orientation of the plane.

But if you want to track the location of a bug on that circle, that's only one degree of freedom. Two if you want its velocity as well.

jedishrfu said:
Heres the wiki on degrees of freedom:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrees_of_freedom

In a 3D mechanics context, objects can have 6 degrees of freedom. They aren’t the same thing.

In my opinion, it is clear that
on their own
"dimensions" and "degrees of freedom"
are not well defined...
but instead are convenient shortcuts in some context.

In the wikipedia article linked above
  • Mechanics​

... A free, rigid object, such as a ship at sea, has six degrees of freedom: three rotations and three translations about each perpendicular axis.
    describes the dimensionality of the configuration space
  • Physics and chemistry​

...or the dimension of its phase space, is known as its degrees of freedom
    describes the dimensionality of the phase space

So, it appears there is no official unambiguous definition.
Thus, it's probably best to clearly state
"Here, we define the number of degrees of freedom to be dimensionality of the _____."

(Note that constraints can decrease the dimensionality:
e.g. a point-particle constrained to travel on a circle
has a smaller dimensionality than an unconstrained one.)

Likes Lnewqban

What is the difference between dimensions and degrees of freedom?

Dimensions refer to the number of independent variables or parameters needed to describe a system, while degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent ways a system can move or change.

How are dimensions and degrees of freedom related?

In most cases, the number of dimensions and degrees of freedom are equal. However, there are some cases where the number of dimensions may be different from the number of degrees of freedom, such as in constrained systems where some movements are restricted.

Why is it important to consider dimensions and degrees of freedom in scientific research?

Understanding the dimensions and degrees of freedom of a system is crucial in accurately describing and analyzing its behavior. It helps scientists determine the number of variables needed to fully describe a system and identify any constraints that may affect its movements or changes.

What is the significance of degrees of freedom in statistical analysis?

In statistics, degrees of freedom play a critical role in determining the accuracy and reliability of a statistical test. It represents the number of independent pieces of information that are available for estimating a parameter or making a statistical inference.

Can the number of dimensions and degrees of freedom change in a system?

Yes, the number of dimensions and degrees of freedom can change in a system depending on the constraints or external factors present. For example, the dimensions and degrees of freedom of a solid object may change when it melts and becomes a liquid.