Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diophantine equations of the form x^3-dy^3=1

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    I was recently thinking about these diophantine equations. I'm looking for solutions (x,y) in integers with d as an integer also. I have found that whenever d is a perfect cube, the equation has finitely many solutions. However, I can't seem to figure anything else out regarding equations of this type. Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Mathguy

EDIT:eek:h, and i don't know any advanced mathematics except for some linear algebra and bits and pieces of abstract algebra. So, please don't overwhelm this mere high schooler. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2
    Oh, and I've also figured out that if d is a cube-free integer such that the number of solutions to the equation is finite, then all integers of the equation x^3-d(n^3)(y^3)=1 also has a finite number of solutions.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    Well, we know it has no solutions x>1 (There's a special case x=0, d=1, and y=-1, though) when d is a cubed integer, as then d^3*y^3 would also be a cubed integer. And since there is no difference between two cubed integers that is only 1 (they grow further and further apart from each other), there is a finite number of solutions.

And there is an infinite number of solutions when y=1, as then x>1 would be also have d=x^3-1 to make the solution true. But on the specifics of x=/=1 and y=/=1, I do not know.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    Look up Delaunay-Nagell theorem (or equation). However, this result uses advanced algebraic techniques, so you might not be ready to understand the proof (yet!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook