Why does $Y_n$ have that specific form?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation discusses the Pell equation over an integral domain of characteristic zero and defines two sequences of polynomials in $\mathbb{Z}[T]$. Lemma 2 is proven, which states that $Y_n \sim n$ for $n = 0, 1, 2, \dots$. This is shown by expressing $Y_n$ in terms of $T$ and using the binomial theorem. The terms of the sum for which $k$ is even is $X_n$ and the terms for which $k$ is odd is $UY_n$. This is proven by breaking up the sum into even and odd parts.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $R$ be any integral domain of characteristic zero.
We consider the Pell equation $$X^2-(T^2-1)Y^2=1\tag 1$$ over $R[T]$. Let $U$ be an element in the algebraic closure of $R[T]$ satisfying $$U^2=T^2-1\tag 2$$ Define two sequences $X_n, Y_n, n=0, 1, 2, \dots $, of polynomials in $\mathbb{Z}[T]$, by setting $$X_n+UY_n=(T+U)^n\tag 3$$

Lemma 1.

The solutions of $(1)$ in $R[T]$arwe given precisely y $$X=\pm X_n , Y=\pm Y_n , n=0, 1, 2, \dots$$ We write $V \sim W$ to denote that the polynomials $V$ and $W$ in $R [T]$ take the same value at $T = 1$. Notice that the relation $Z \sim 0$ is diophantine over $R [T]$ with coefficients in $\mathbb{Z}[T]$, indeed $$Z \sim 0 \leftrightarrow \exists X \in R[T]: Z=(T-1)X$$

Lemma 2.

We have $Y_n \sim n$, for $n=0, 1, 2, \dots $.

Proof.

From $(3)$ and $(2)$ follows $$Y_n=\sum_{i=1, i \text{ odd }}^{n}\binom{n}{i}(T^2-1)^{(i-1)/2}T^{n-i}$$ Substitute now $T=1$.
Could you explain to me the proof of the Lemma $2$?

I haven't understood it...

Why is $Y_n$ of that form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari,

The form you see for $Y_n$ results from applying the binomial theorem to the right-hand side of $(3)$, then using $(2)$ to express $Y_n$ all in terms of $T$. Indeed, by the binomial theorem,

$$X_n + UY_n = (T + U)^n = \sum_{k = 0}^n \binom{n}{k}T^{n-k}U^k.$$

The terms of the sum for which $k$ is even is $X_n$. Consider all terms of the sum above for which $k$ is odd. For all such $k$, $(k-1)/2$ is a positive integer and $U^k =UU^{k-1} = U(U^2)^{(k-1)/2} = U(T^2 - 1)^{(k-1)/2}$. Hence

$$\sum_{0\le k \le n,\, k\, \text{odd}} \binom{n}{k}T^{n-k}U^k = U\sum_{1\le k\le n,\, k\, \text{odd}} \binom{n}{k}(T^2 - 1)^{(k-1)/2}T^{n-k} = UY_n,$$

and so

$$Y_n = \sum_{1\le k\le n,\, k\, \text{odd}} \binom{n}{k}(T^2 - 1)^{(k-1)/2}T^{n-k}.$$

Now

$$Y_n = n + \sum_{3\le k \le n,\, k\, \text{odd}} \binom{n}{k}(T^2 - 1)^{(k-1)/2}T^{n-k} \qquad (*)$$

and when $T = 1$, all terms in the sum on the right-hand side of $(*)$ are zero. Therefore, $T_n \sim n$.

Euge said:
The terms of the sum for which $k$ is even is $X_n$.

Why are the terms of the sum for which $k$ is even, $X_n$ ?

Does this mean that the terms of the sum for which $k$ is odd, is $UY_n$ ? Why?
Euge said:
$$Y_n = n + \sum_{3\le k \le n,\, k\, \text{odd}} \binom{n}{k}(T^2 - 1)^{(k-1)/2}T^{n-k} \qquad (*)$$

Why does this hold?

mathmari said:
Why are the terms of the sum for which $k$ is even, $X_n$ ?

Does this mean that the terms of the sum for which $k$ is odd, is $UY_n$ ? Why?

Perhaps I should put it this way. We break up the sum $\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n \binom{n}{k}T^{n-k}U^k$ into even and odd parts. Let $A_n$ be the sum of the even parts and $B_n$ the sum of the odd parts. As I've shown, $B_n = UC_n$, where $C_n$ is the element of $\Bbb Z[T]$ given by $C_n = \sum\limits_{1 \le k \le n,\, k\, \text{odd}} \binom{n}{k}(T^2 - 1)^{(k-1)/2}T^k$. Now we have expressed $(T + U)^n = A_n + UC_n$, where $A_n, B_n \in \Bbb Z[T]$ have been determined. Thus $X_n = A_n$ and $Y_n = C_n$. I hope this makes more sense.As for your last question, the $n$ appearing from the right-hand side of $(*)$ comes from the $k = 1$ term of $Y_n$. That's all there is to it.

Edit: By the way, $A_n \in \Bbb Z[T]$ since we can express

$$A_n = \sum_{0\le k\le n,\, k\, \text{even}} \binom{n}{k}T^{n-k}(T^2-1)^{k/2}.$$

Last edited:
Euge said:
Perhaps I should put it this way. We break up the sum $\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n \binom{n}{k}T^{n-k}U^k$ into even and odd parts. Let $A_n$ be the sum of the even parts and $B_n$ the sum of the odd parts. As I've shown, $B_n = UC_n$, where $C_n$ is the element of $\Bbb Z[T]$ given by $C_n = \sum\limits_{1 \le k \le n,\, k\, \text{odd}} \binom{n}{k}(T^2 - 1)^{(k-1)/2}T^k$. Now we have expressed $(T + U)^n = A_n + UC_n$, where $A_n, B_n \in \Bbb Z[T]$ have been determined. Thus $X_n = A_n$ and $Y_n = C_n$. I hope this makes more sense.As for your last question, the $n$ appearing from the right-hand side of $(*)$ comes from the $k = 1$ term of $Y_n$. That's all there is to it.

Edit: By the way, $A_n \in \Bbb Z[T]$ since we can express

$$A_n = \sum_{0\le k\le n,\, k\, \text{even}} \binom{n}{k}T^{n-k}(T^2-1)^{k/2}.$$
I got it! Thanks for the explanation! (Sun)

1. Why is Yn of that form?

The form of Yn is determined by the mathematical model or equation being used to describe the phenomenon being studied. It is often chosen based on its ability to accurately represent the data and make predictions about the system being studied.

2. What factors influence the form of Yn?

The form of Yn is influenced by various factors such as the type of data being collected, the assumptions made about the system, and the desired level of accuracy or simplicity in the model. Other factors may include the available resources and the specific goals of the research.

3. Can the form of Yn be changed?

Yes, the form of Yn can be changed by modifying the mathematical model or equation being used. This can be done by incorporating different variables or adjusting the parameters in the equation. However, any changes made should be carefully considered and justified in order to maintain the accuracy and validity of the model.

4. How does the form of Yn affect the results?

The form of Yn can have a significant impact on the results and conclusions drawn from the data. A well-chosen form can accurately represent the data and provide meaningful insights into the system being studied. On the other hand, a poorly chosen form may lead to inaccurate predictions and hinder the understanding of the underlying phenomenon.

5. Is there a standard form for Yn?

No, there is no standard form for Yn as it is determined by the specific research question and the mathematical model being used. Different fields of science may have different conventions for the form of Yn, but ultimately it should be chosen based on its ability to accurately represent the data and achieve the goals of the research.