Dipole moment of Rydberg states

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of experimental and theoretical data on the electric dipole moment of Rydberg states for CaF or BaF. The NIST Diatomic Spectral Database and a paper from Bob Field's group are mentioned as potential sources for this information. The dipole moment is noted to be proportional to the slope of a plot of Stark shift splittings vs applied electric field, with further details on its dependence on angular quantum numbers being referred to other experts in the field.
kelly0303
Hello! Are there any experimental measurements or theoretical calculations of the electric dipole moment of any Rydberg state for CaF or BaF? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings,

The two most comprehensive compilations of physical constants of the electronic states of diatomic molecules of which I am aware are:

K. P. Huber and G. Herzberg, "Constants of Diatomic Molecules" Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1979.

NIST Diatomic Spectral DatabaseES

I don't think the NIST database will have Rydberg states. It's a bit exotic.

I am confident that the information you want can be gleaned from this paper out of Bob Field's group. However, this stuff makes my head hurt. All I know is that the dipole moment is proportional to the slope of a plot of Stark shift splittings vs applied electric field. How that depends on the angular quantum numbers is where I get lost. @EigenState137 @amoforum @DrDu @BillKet are all people who are more comfortable than I am with this stuff.

Likes DrClaude

What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule or atom. It is a vector quantity that describes the overall polarity of a molecule or atom.

What are Rydberg states?

Rydberg states are highly excited states of an atom, where one or more electrons have been promoted to higher energy levels. These states are named after the Swedish physicist Johannes Rydberg, who first described them in the late 19th century.

How is the dipole moment of Rydberg states calculated?

The dipole moment of Rydberg states can be calculated using the quantum mechanical equations for the electric dipole moment, which take into account the position and charge of each electron within the atom.

Why is the dipole moment of Rydberg states important?

The dipole moment of Rydberg states is important because it can provide information about the electronic structure and properties of atoms. It can also be used to study the interactions between atoms and molecules.

How does the dipole moment of Rydberg states change with increasing energy levels?

The dipole moment of Rydberg states generally increases with increasing energy levels, as the separation between positive and negative charges becomes greater. However, there are some exceptions to this trend, depending on the specific electronic configuration of the atom.