Dipole moment at the sub atomic level

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a moving neutral object in a vacuum generating an electric field due to a small dipole moment. It is proposed that this is caused by the force propagating within the atom and a shift in electron clouds relative to the position of the nuclei. The estimated dipole moment is compared to that of H2O and the possibility of measuring such a small dipole moment is discussed. It is also mentioned that this phenomenon has been considered and researched before, known as the Van der Waals force. The possibility of this phenomenon increasing with velocity is questioned and a paper is referenced. The conversation is then closed with a reminder that this is not the place for personal theory development.
Dilema
The following mechanism leads me to wander that a moving neutral object (compose from atoms) in vacuum may generates electric filed due to very small dipole moment.
I propose that when atoms force to move in a certain direction the force propagates within the atom. A retardation in movements will happen depending on response time and the time it takes the force (Field) to travel within the atom (probably the speed of light). This leads to a very small shift (depending on the atom velocity) in electron clouds relative to the position of the nuclei (very similar to portability but without external electric field).
My first simple estimation (classical approach) is that for 1m/sec the atom clouds shits in 10-18m.
This would generates dipole moment of 10-5Debay (just for comparison H2O has 1.85Debay).
1. Did someone consider such mechanism? (I need link or paper).
2. Is it possible to measure such low dipole moment?
3. Consider lattice of mole atoms then I expect this dipole moment to sum up to much more significant, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes. Otherwise known as the Van der Waals force. It can occur for neutral molecules/atoms alike. I'm sure you can look up papers or read the Wikipedia page.
2. Yes, these measurements are often done. http://phys.org/news/2016-05-physicists-van-der-waals-individual.html
3. As the above article states, that's why geckos can stick to surfaces so well. The van der waals forces sum up enough to enable that.

Thank you Modestyking for your repay. I'm well aware of the Van der Waals forces. Please note that I was referring to a phenomenon that should increases with the velocity of the subject. As far as I know Van der Waals interactions are independent on molecule velocity. Namely you can have interactions even the molecules are standing still.

A dipole field would lead to a force on a charge in this field.

Consider the same situation in the rest frame of the neutral atom, with a moving charge somewhere: no force. Therefore, no dipole moment.

A simple Google search seemed to yield a few papers, one of which is here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/231076123_Velocity_dependence_of_the_van_der_Waals_force_between_molecules [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dilema said:
a very small shift (depending on the atom velocity) in electron clouds relative to the position of the nuclei (
This does not happen, and PF is not the place for personal theory development.

Thread closed.

1. What is dipole moment at the sub atomic level?

Dipole moment at the sub atomic level refers to the measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within an atom or molecule. It is a vector quantity that indicates the polarity of a molecule or atom.

2. How is dipole moment calculated at the sub atomic level?

Dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the distance between the positive and negative charges by the magnitude of the charge. In quantum mechanics, it is calculated by integrating the wave function of an electron around the nucleus.

3. What factors affect dipole moment at the sub atomic level?

The factors that affect dipole moment at the sub atomic level include the electronegativity difference between atoms, the shape of the molecule, and the distribution of charges within the molecule.

4. Can dipole moment at the sub atomic level change?

Yes, dipole moment at the sub atomic level can change due to various factors such as changes in the molecular structure, external electric fields, or chemical reactions.

5. How is dipole moment at the sub atomic level relevant in chemistry?

Dipole moment at the sub atomic level is relevant in chemistry because it helps to explain and predict the physical and chemical properties of molecules. It also plays a role in determining the polarity and reactivity of molecules.