Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta function how did they prove this?

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I'm familiar with the fact that the dirac delta function (when defined within an integral is even)

Meaning delta(x)= delta(-x) on the interval -a to b when integral signs are present

I want to prove this this relationship but I don't know how to do it other than with a limit maybe

Book said they proved it using a change of variables and changing limits of integration but I can't see how they proved it? Does anyone know how?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you have written is pretty much meaningless. The "Dirac Delta function" is not a function at all. It is a "distribution" or "generalized function" which means it is applied to functions, not numbers as are ordinary functions. In particular, that means that we do not define either [itex]\delta(x)[/itex] or [itex]\delta(-x)[/itex] for specific values of x. What is true is that [itex]\delta[/itex] applied to an odd function is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook