1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac notation for conjugacy class

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    Is the RHS of the conjugate relationship

Ad(g)x = gxg-1

from the Lie algebra equivalent to:

<g|λ|g>

In the Dirac notation of quantum mechanics?

I am looking at this in the context of gluons where g is a 3 x 1 basis matrix consisting of components r,g,b, g-1 is a 1 x 3 matrix consisting of components r*,g*,b* and λ is any one of the 8 Gell-Mann matrices.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please provide a reference to where your notation is taken from and define x.

4. Sep 19, 2016 #3
  5. Sep 19, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

g is not a 3x1 matrix. It is an element of the Lie group. The representation is the adjoint representation, which is a representation of a Lie group on its Lie algebra. In the case of SU(3), g is therefore a unitary 3x3 matrix with determinant one.

Edit: Note that the gluon representation of SU(3) is an 8-dimensional one (the adjoint representation of SU(N) is N^2-1-dimensional). The corresponding colour combinations are the traceless colour-anticolour combinations.

6. Sep 19, 2016 #5
    OK. I think I may be confusing things.

\[ \left(\begin{pmatrix} r* & g* & b* \end{pmatrix}λi\begin{pmatrix} r \\ g \\ b \end{pmatrix}\right)\]

appears to produce the QM superposition states for the gluons. if g has to be a 3 x 3 invertible matrix then this has to be the bra-ket interpretation. Correct?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. Sep 19, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, this does not have to do with the braket notation. It has to do with how you can construct an SU(3) singlet from an 8-, a 3-, and a 3*-representation.

8. Sep 19, 2016 #7

9. Sep 19, 2016 #8
    OK. Sorry about the formatting in the previous response. I think I get it now. The product of λ with a column vector gives another column vector. This column vector gets multiplied by the complex conjugate matrix which can be written as a column or row vector. Either way this operation is the tensor product 3 ⊗ 3bar which decomposes into the 1 ⊕ 8. Correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted