Dirac's QM - First Edition 1930 - 2 pages needed

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation is discussing the need for someone to "steal" pages 34 and 56 from Dirac's original edition of his book <The Principles of Quantum Mechanics> from a public library. The person asking for this help is unable to do it themselves and purchasing the whole book is not an option. They suggest using Google to find the pages, but another person in the conversation believes this is futile due to copyright issues and the fact that the 2nd edition of the book received more attention. The pages are needed for research work and writing a small paper.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Hi everyone,

so I need someone to go to a public library and 'steal' somehow (scanning or simply photo with a smart phone) pages 34 and 56 of Dirac's original edition of his groundbreaking 1930 book called <The Principles of Quantum Mechanics>. I myself cannot do that from where I am, not to mention that buying the whole book is out of the question for reasons of availability.

Can it be done? Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
In the meantime, you might be able to find it via Google if you search on Dirac and his book and the picture of interest or page of interest.

A search in Google is futile, I think the book's still under copyright and the 1st Edition has never gotten the right amount of attention it diserved, as the author changed it significantly by 1935, when he had the 2nd Ed. published. I specifically need these 2 pages only for some research work prior to writing a small paper.

Last edited:

1. What is Dirac's QM?

Dirac's QM, also known as the Dirac Equation, is a foundational equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It was first published in 1930 by British physicist Paul Dirac.

2. How is Dirac's QM different from other quantum theories?

Dirac's QM is different from other quantum theories in that it is a relativistic equation, meaning it takes into account the principles of Einstein's theory of relativity. This allows for a more accurate description of particles moving at high speeds, as well as the creation and annihilation of particles.

3. What are the key components of Dirac's QM?

The key components of Dirac's QM are the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position, and the Hamiltonian operator, which determines the energy and momentum of the particle. It also includes the spin operator, which describes the intrinsic angular momentum of particles.

4. How did Dirac's QM contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Dirac's QM was a major development in the field of quantum mechanics, as it provided a more comprehensive and accurate description of particle behavior. It also paved the way for further advancements in the field, such as the development of quantum field theory.

5. Is Dirac's QM still relevant today?

Yes, Dirac's QM is still a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is widely used in modern research and applications. It has also been extended and modified to incorporate other concepts, such as quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics.