• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Direct Enrollment in PhD programmes after finishing Undergraduates

• Programs
  • Thread starter debsuvra
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello there, I'm a Undergraduate student of Physics from India. Recently I came across information regarding joining PhD programmes directly after completing undergraduate courses in Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. Frankly speaking, I didn't know it was possible. Now, since I solemnly want to continue my post undergraduate studies in USA, are there any similar opportunities there? As far as I know, I need to go through GRE to get admitted to US universities at graduate level, does that test also make me eligible to get enrolled into a direct PhD programme, if there any?

Answers and Replies

does that test also make me eligible to get enrolled into a direct PhD programme, if there any?
Most phd programs in the states are basically direct phd programs (though some of them officially call themselves combined ms/phd programs). The programs are usually about 5 years.

Most phd programs in the states are basically direct phd programs (though some of them officially call themselves combined ms/phd programs). The programs are usually about 5 years.
Pardon my ignorance, I didn't know about that. So, I need to go through GRE for getting admitted, right?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I will be very tacky here and ask you to read Part V and Part VII of my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay in one of the Sticky Thread in this forum.

Zz.