Changing disciplines after finishing undergrad Degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of changing disciplines for a Chemical engineering student who is interested in fields like mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or applied physics. It is recommended to pursue projects that interest them and it is common for research groups to have a mix of disciplines to support and diversify skills.
Chemxav
I am a Chemical engineering student with pretty good grades, and about finish my undergraduate degree. I am 100% sure i want to go to grad school, but recently i am starting to get interested in other disciplines.

My question is, how difficult it is for someone with my background to change discipline to something like mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or applied physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
honestly, it depends on the project! If you see a project that interests you in a different school, then you go for it. My research group (materials engineering) has physicists and chemists graduates in it too. I almost when from materials to chemical engineering, because i was interested in the project offered.

My supervisor is keen on having a spectrum of disciplines in the group because it allows students to support each other and diversify in skills. Other supervisors I know do this also.

1. Can I change disciplines after finishing my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to change disciplines after completing your undergraduate degree. Many people choose to pursue a different field of study for their graduate studies or even after starting their career.

2. What is the best way to change disciplines after finishing my undergraduate degree?

The best way to change disciplines after finishing your undergraduate degree is to research and explore your options, network with professionals in your desired field, and gain relevant experience through internships or volunteer work.

3. Will changing disciplines affect my job prospects or salary?

It depends on the specific field you are switching to and your qualifications and experience in that field. In some cases, changing disciplines may require additional education or training, which could affect your job prospects and salary. However, if you have relevant experience and skills, changing disciplines may not have a significant impact on your job prospects or salary.

4. Can I change disciplines if I have already started my career?

Yes, it is possible to change disciplines even if you have already started your career. Many people make career changes later in life, and it is never too late to pursue your passions and interests. It may require additional education or training, but it is possible to successfully switch to a different discipline.

5. Will changing disciplines be a difficult transition?

The difficulty of transitioning to a different discipline will vary depending on your individual circumstances. It may require hard work and dedication to catch up on knowledge and skills in the new field, but with determination and a positive attitude, it is possible to make a successful transition.