Dirty snow (snirt) & melting point

In summary, the reason why the dirty snow on the sides of roads takes longer to melt is because it mixes with dirt and exhaust fumes, making it hard and un-meltable. Additionally, if the snow is not in direct sunlight, it absorbs heat slowly through convection. The snow may also be packed and denser due to snow plows pushing it to the berm, making it take even longer to melt. Thawing and freezing cycles can also contribute to the slow melting process.
Mephisto
You know that dirty disgusting snow that accumulates on sides of roads over the winter, and then doesn't melt until well into May or something? Why is it that this snow refuses to melt? It mixes with dirt and exhaust fumes from the cars, and somehow becomes really hard and un-meltable.

Does anyone have an explanation? Its much darker, so it should absorb light much more easily and melt even faster! Its a puzzle :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought the dirty snow left in May was simply what was left of the highest and most shaded snow banks of the previous winter. I have no reason to assume a different melting rate for the late snow I see in my area.

If it's not in the sun, it absorbs heat via convection, which is a pretty slow process. I have some fresh looking snow on my deck that never seems to melt.

I think due to snow plows pushing the snow to the burm, many times, you have a layered effect and snow is "packed" thus denser relative to soft fallen snow around the packed snow..all things are relative and it takes mucho time to melt a packed snow mass..
also there may be severla thawing freezing cycles for the curb side snow pack and will make melting more difficult

1. What is dirty snow (snirt)?

Dirty snow, also known as snirt, is a combination of snow and dirt or other pollutants found on the surface of snow. It is commonly seen in urban areas where snow is exposed to traffic and air pollution.

2. How does dirty snow affect the melting point of snow?

Dirty snow has a lower albedo, meaning it absorbs more heat from the sun compared to clean snow. This causes the temperature of the snow to rise, leading to faster melting. The presence of pollutants can also act as impurities, lowering the melting point of snow.

3. Can dirty snow cause air pollution?

Yes, dirty snow can contribute to air pollution. When the snow melts, it releases the pollutants and dirt it has gathered, which can contaminate water sources and contribute to smog when it evaporates into the air.

4. How does the melting point of snow affect the environment?

The melting point of snow is important for regulating the water cycle and maintaining a balance in ecosystems. When snow melts too quickly or at an abnormal rate, it can cause flooding and disrupt plant and animal life. On the other hand, delayed snow melt can lead to water shortages and droughts.

5. Can climate change affect the melting point of snow?

Yes, climate change can have a significant impact on the melting point of snow. As temperatures rise, the melting point of snow also increases, leading to faster melting and changes in the water cycle. This can have far-reaching consequences on the environment, including changes in weather patterns and sea levels.