Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disabling Tablet Traits of windows 8.1: Touchscreen

Tags:
  1. Mar 10, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,
    AFAIK, Windows 8.1 machines ( I have a laptop) have been designed in part to function as tablets. Specifically, the touch screen and slides of the mouse. Specifically, I have a touchpad for my mouse. Problem I have is that I will inadvertently slide/move the cursor in such a way that all sorts of changes are triggered, e.g., I will move the cursor a certain way and my font size will change. Is there a way, other than buying an external mouse, to disabling these triggers?

Basically, I would like to have my computer act like a PC would in a world where the same technology is available but tablets have not been invented.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2
    Go to device manager. under human interface devices,you have the touchscreen drivers. Disable it. Restart your pc. Now you should not have any problems. I solved mine that way. Pro - No more cursor problems. Con- Touchscreen is disabled

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Syed, will give that a try now.

5. Mar 13, 2015 #4

harborsparrow

Gold Member

Buy the utility StartIsBack ($3 license for 2 PC's) and tune its settings. Can make it mostly ust like Win7 or Win8 without touch.

6. Mar 13, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, but I have Windows 8.1, I just don't like the random changes that come with the tablet traits.

7. Mar 14, 2015 #6
    Simple, get rid of 8.1!

8. Mar 14, 2015 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Getting rid of 8.1 might not be so simple if hardware drivers are not [yet?] available for other operating systems.
    I wish I could downgrade my Windows 8 tablet to XP-TabletPCEdition....
    While there were improvements, it's weird that they got rid of some stylus-related features.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook