Disabling Tablet Traits of windows 8.1: Touchscreen

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of Windows 8.1 machines functioning as tablets and causing inadvertent changes to occur. Suggestions are made to disable the touchscreen drivers or buy a utility to make the computer act more like previous versions of Windows. The idea of downgrading to a previous operating system is also mentioned.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
AFAIK, Windows 8.1 machines ( I have a laptop) have been designed in part to function as tablets. Specifically, the touch screen and slides of the mouse. Specifically, I have a touchpad for my mouse. Problem I have is that I will inadvertently slide/move the cursor in such a way that all sorts of changes are triggered, e.g., I will move the cursor a certain way and my font size will change. Is there a way, other than buying an external mouse, to disabling these triggers?

Basically, I would like to have my computer act like a PC would in a world where the same technology is available but tablets have not been invented.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Go to device manager. under human interface devices,you have the touchscreen drivers. Disable it. Restart your pc. Now you should not have any problems. I solved mine that way. Pro - No more cursor problems. Con- Touchscreen is disabled

Thanks, Syed, will give that a try now.

Buy the utility StartIsBack ($3 license for 2 PC's) and tune its settings. Can make it mostly ust like Win7 or Win8 without touch.

Thanks, but I have Windows 8.1, I just don't like the random changes that come with the tablet traits.

Simple, get rid of 8.1!

Getting rid of 8.1 might not be so simple if hardware drivers are not [yet?] available for other operating systems.
I wish I could downgrade my Windows 8 tablet to XP-TabletPCEdition...
While there were improvements, it's weird that they got rid of some stylus-related features.

1. What is a "Disabling Tablet Traits"?

Disabling Tablet Traits refers to the process of deactivating or turning off features on a device that are optimized for touchscreens, such as those found on Windows 8.1 tablets.

2. How do I disable tablet traits on Windows 8.1?

To disable tablet traits on Windows 8.1, go to the Control Panel and select "Hardware and Sound." Then, click on "Pen and Touch" and navigate to the "Touch" tab. From there, you can uncheck the box next to "Use your finger as an input device" to disable touchscreen features.

3. Why would I want to disable tablet traits on Windows 8.1?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to disable tablet traits on Windows 8.1. For example, if you are using a non-touchscreen device, such as a desktop computer, you may not need or want touchscreen features. Additionally, some users may find that disabling tablet traits can improve battery life and performance on their device.

4. Will disabling tablet traits affect other features on my device?

Disabling tablet traits on Windows 8.1 should not affect other features on your device, as long as you only disable the touchscreen features. However, it is always recommended to double-check your settings and make sure that all other features are still functioning properly after making any changes.

5. Can I re-enable tablet traits on Windows 8.1?

Yes, you can re-enable tablet traits on Windows 8.1 by following the same steps as disabling them. Simply go back to the "Touch" tab under "Pen and Touch" in the Control Panel and check the box next to "Use your finger as an input device" to re-enable touchscreen features.