Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Analog of Schrodinger Equation?

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    It seems like there should be a discrete-time discrete-space analog to the Schrodinger equation. For example, you can apply the classic explicit finite difference method to the heat equation and get a simple binomial or trinomial tree relationship in a lattice.

When I try that with the Schrodinger equation (with zero potential), I find that the value of the wave function phi is a linear combination of adjacent values at the previous step, with complex weights -r*I/2, 1-r*I, and -r*I/2, where r is a constant and I is the imaginary unit. But this scheme does not conserve probability. The sum of squared absolute values of psi is not equal to 1.

I know the Hermitian nature of the H-operator in continuous-time guarantees conservation of probability. This is not working in my discrete attempts. Is there any discrete analog of the Schrodinger equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know about discrete time, but I've seen a discrete space version (propagation on a lattice) which gives the Schrodinger equation in the limit of zero spacing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook