Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete or continuous spectrum?

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Consider an unbounded self-adjoint operator defined in a hilbert space(its domain isn't the entire hilbert space,of course).Can its spectrum have discrete and continuous parts simultaneity?Does it have eigenvectors with finite norm?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Take a "nice" (for example: piecewise continuous) function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]. We can consider the multiplication operator

[tex]M:L^2(\mathbb{R})\rightarrow L^2(\mathbb{R}): g\rightarrow fg[/tex]

An element ##\lambda\in \mathbb{C}## is not in the spectrum of ##M## if and only if ##M-\lambda I## is not invertible. But we have

[tex](M-\lambda I)(g)(x) = f(x)g(x) - \lambda g(x) = ( f(x) - \lambda 1) g(x)[/tex]

We can see from this (and we can prove), that ##M-\lambda I## is invertible only if ##f(x)\neq \lambda## for any ##x\in \mathbb{R}##. So the spectrum of ##M## is ##\overline(f(\mathbb{R}))##.

Now take for example, the function

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{l}x-1 ~\text{if}~ x\leq 0\\ 0~\text{if} ~x>0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Then the spectrum will be ##(-\infty,-1]\cup \{0\}##, which consists of "continuous" and "discrete parts".

Now, ##g## is an eigenvalue of ##M## if ##Mg = \lambda g## for a certain ##\lambda\in \mathbb{C}##. So ##f(x)g(x) = \lambda g(x)## for all ##x\in \mathbb{R}##.

If we take the function ##f##as above, then we see that

[tex]g(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{l} 0~\text{if} ~x\leq 0\\ 1~\text{if}~ 0<x<1\\ 0~\text{if}~ x\geq 1\end{array}\right.[/tex]

is an eigenvector. Furthermore, this has finite norm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook