How Does Discriminator Control Influence Reheat Requirements in HVAC Systems?

• Thread starter pinkcashmere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the required amount of reheat provided by the hot air in each zone at the hour is 6,000 Btu/hr for Zone 1 and 3,000 Btu/hr for Zone 2. If a VAV system with 20% minimum position is used with discriminator control, the required amount of reheat is 9,000 Btu/hr for Zone 1 and 6,000 Btu/hr for Zone 2.
pinkcashmere

Homework Statement

A factory has two zones. Zone 1 and 2 are both maintained at 75FDB. The design supply air flow rates to Zone 1 and 2 are 320 and 200 CFM, respectively. At a certain hour in summer, the cooling loads for Zone 1 and 2 are 6,000 Btu/hr and 3,000 Btu/hr, respectively.

Assume dry air conditions and air density of 0.075 lbm/ft3 .

(a) If a dual-duct constant-volume system is used with discriminator control for both cold and hot air, what would the required amount of reheat (Btu/hr) be provided by the hot air in each zone at the hour? The design cold and hot air supply temperatures are 55FDB and 100FDB, respectively.

(b) If a VAV system with 20% minimum position is used with discriminator control, what would the required amount of reheat (Btu/hr) be provided by a reheater in each zone at the hour? The design supply air temperature is 55FDB

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to know what discriminator control is in the context of this problem. I can't find any example problems like these on Google.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I'm an HVAC engineer and this is the first I've heard the term. Googling, I found a Google books link to an old controls book that shows it as a selection algorithm for picking the control variable. In this case, that appears to be the maximum allowable supply air temperature to satisfy the warmer zone's cooling requirement without reheat...and at the same time, the lowest temperature to heat the cooler zone.

https://books.google.com/books?id=1...v=onepage&q=discriminator control vav&f=false

I say "appears" because this is an archaic control method (the dual duct part) that I'm not too familiar with.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

I'm an HVAC engineer and this is the first I've heard the term. Googling, I found a Google books link to an old controls book that shows it as a selection algorithm for picking the control variable. In this case, that appears to be the maximum allowable supply air temperature to satisfy the warmer zone's cooling requirement without reheat...and at the same time, the lowest temperature to heat the cooler zone.

https://books.google.com/books?id=1VZ-BgAAQBAJ&pg=PT180&lpg=PT180&dq=discriminator+control+vav&source=bl&ots=3r5Fj62Jld&sig=5nRiwlin8CAYWcOhspMU0k8sq7o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAGoVChMI3bCxove_yAIVwxc-Ch3guAmV#v=onepage&q=discriminator control vav&f=false

I say "appears" because this is an archaic control method (the dual duct part) that I'm not too familiar with.

thanks very much for the reply!
I have another question

http://postimg.org/image/quz6smejb/full/
I don't really understand the basic conditions involving design/minimum volumetric flow rates to calculate reheat or to change the damper position. I was wondering if you could explain

What is discriminator control?

Discriminator control is a technique used in electronics to adjust the sensitivity of a circuit or device. It involves controlling the threshold at which a signal is considered to be significant enough to be processed or transmitted.

How does discriminator control work?

Discriminator control works by adjusting the voltage threshold of a circuit or device. This threshold determines the minimum level at which a signal will be accepted and processed. By adjusting this threshold, the sensitivity of the circuit or device can be changed.

What is the purpose of discriminator control?

The purpose of discriminator control is to optimize the performance of electronic circuits or devices. By adjusting the sensitivity, the circuit can be tuned to receive and process only the signals that are relevant, while filtering out any unwanted noise or interference.

What types of circuits or devices use discriminator control?

Discriminator control is commonly used in electronic circuits such as radio receivers, frequency modulators, and demodulators. It is also used in devices such as metal detectors and radar systems to adjust the sensitivity and filter out unwanted signals.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using discriminator control?

One potential drawback of using discriminator control is that it may reduce the overall sensitivity of the circuit. This can result in weaker signals being missed or not processed. Additionally, if the threshold is set too low, it may allow unwanted noise or interference to pass through the circuit. Careful tuning and calibration are necessary to avoid these drawbacks.