Distance from sun to earth= 1.5 x10^11m

  • Thread starter Thread starter Littlemin5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Sun
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Littlemin5
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Please help!

1. Homework Statement
Find the point between Earth and the Sun at which an object an be placed so that the net gravitatinal force exerted by Earth an the sun on this object is zero.

Me=5.98 x 10^24kg
Ms=2 x 10^30kg
Distance from sun to earth= 1.5 x10^11m

2. Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/r^2 --> not sure if this is right?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to manipulate the situation and thought I could do:
When x equals the distance from the sun.

(G(Ms)) / x^2 = (G(Me))/ (d-x)^2

When I plugged in the numbers though I got 1.49x10^11m as my answer. I don't feel like this is right because it's pretty much the full distance between them. Is this not the way to do it, and if not how do I go about doig this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I have not done this one in a while, but I believe that you may need to take the radii of the bodies into account. Since in that formula for Gravitational force, r is the distance between the centers.