1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance to reach terminal velocity

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A body with a 100 Kg of mass is falling , what's the distance and time to reach terminal velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    a=dv/dt v=ds/dt drag force= 100v^2
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really need the numbers , just the expressions
    I don't know how to write the equations so I am going to capture my attempt and post as photos. I don't know if I am right or wrong yet. The photos were mixed during the upload , the last photo is the first one and vice versa

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, x = infinity, t = infinity.

The terminal velocity is a finite number but the distance and time to reach it are asymptotes which are never completely reached.

4. Dec 30, 2013 #3
    yea i know , but we can get an approximation , i could use excel to do it , but i saw this thread ( https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=502933 ) he used differential equations to solve for time , so i thought maybe i could use it to solve for distance

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  5. Dec 30, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You tell me what constitutes "reaching terminal velocity", like for example 99% of terminal velocity, and maybe I can show you how to get that.

6. Dec 30, 2013 #5
    Thanks , i did a spreadsheet and i got the answers , my question is : is this calculus approach wrong?

7. Dec 31, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For the time, yes, though my preference would be to keep all the variables as symbols (m for mass, D for drag coefficient etc.) rather then inserting numerical values som early.
    You can solve the time integral using partial fractions.
    For the distance, the easiest way is to use dv/dt = (dv/ds)(ds/dt) = v dv/ds. That gives you a very easy integral.

8. Dec 31, 2013 #7
    So integration does work ??? thanks for that ultra-easy integral :thumbs: , the one i figured out was a nightmare

9. Dec 31, 2013 #8
    if i had a 50 m/s terminal velocity for example , if i put v= 49 m/s , i can work it out with calculus right?

10. Dec 31, 2013 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right!

11. Dec 31, 2013 #10
    Thanks

12. Dec 31, 2013 #11
    One last question before we call it a day , when i use differential equation calculator in wolfram , he used log instead of ln in the integration , he gave me t in terms of v . when he was trying to put v the subject ( to put v in terms of t ) he used e . How come?

13. Dec 31, 2013 #12

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was your diff. equation?

14. Dec 31, 2013 #13
    Int(t)=int(dv/(228-0.113v^2))

15. Dec 31, 2013 #14

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, you mean dt = dv/(228 - 0.113 v2).

That "228" bothers me. I have g for that constant = 9.81 ms-2.
    Also, you need to know the drag coefficient = drag force/v2. I saw nothing in your problem that gave that coefficient a number. Where did you get the number 0.113 from, which has to be the drag coefficient divided by the mass of the diver?

16. Dec 31, 2013 #15
    This is not really about skydiving, i am pretty sure the other calculation are correct, the body is teardrop shape which according to google has a coefficient of drag of 0.05

17. Dec 31, 2013 #16

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, but I still think you should show how you got those two numbers: 228 and 0.113.

If you're sure they're right (and I don't think they are), then go ahead and show what your solution was for v(t) or t(v) or both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted