1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance travelled by the particle

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A constant power P is applied to a particle of mass m. The distance travelled by the particle when its velocity increases from v1 to v2 is(neglect friction)

2. Relevant equations
    Work done = ΔKE
    P=dW/dt
    s=(v2^2-v1^2)/2a

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since work done by all forces equals ΔKE
    Work done = m(v2^2-v1^2)/2
    Now P=dW/dt,
    differentiating W wrt to t, I get
    a=P/m(v2-v1)
    Putting a in last equation I get
    s=m(v2^2-v1^2)(v2-v1)/2P

but this answer is wrong :(

The correct answer given in my book is m(v2^3-v1^3)/3P
    I don't know where I've commited the mistake.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Being a cynic about answers like this given in texts, I would consider an equivalent problem with numerical values and check that the "formula" answer does give the correct answer. Perhaps your answer does also, and there is just 2 ways of saying the same thing.

Use values that should not give a coincidental answer ie avoid a value of 2, since 2 + 2 and 2 x 2 give the same answer.

EG 14 kg mass travelling at 7 m/s, is accelerated to 11 m/s when power is added at the rate of 5 watts. How far would be covered.

Your formula says 14(121 - 49)/10
    Their Formla says 14(1331 - 343)/15

They are not the same answer, so at least one of them is wrong.

Hint: find the initial and final Kinetic energies. Since the energy was added at a rate of 5 J/s, you can work out how long in time that takes.
    Since the average speed is 9m/s, you can thus calculate the distance covered.
    While doing that numerical calculation, you may even see why your/their answer will be correct.

Good luck.
    Note: You could repeat the calculation for some different values, to show your agreement was not coincidental.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook