Distributed Strain Sensing with FO Bragg Gratings

In summary, the author is working on a distributed strain sensor that uses fibre optic Bragg gratings. The sensor can detect strain along the grating, but the author is having difficulty converting the dφ/dλ data into strain units. If anyone can help him out, it would be much appreciated.
Cummings
Not really something I would expect most people to know so I will keep it out of the Homework help section (it is not homework)

I am working on distributed strain sensing with fibre optic Bragg gratings for aircraft.

For those that don't know, FO Bragg gratings are a periodic variation in refractive index along an optical fiber. Light who's wavelength is equal to the spacing between variations will be reflected via Bragg reflection. Any slight change in the period of the index variations means the wavelength of light reflected changes. You can therefore meansure strain by monitoring the peak wavelength that is reflected due to a strain change(1.22pm/micostrain)

Unfortunatly, that technique only works for point sensing and will not work unless a crack or whatever effects the exact location of the grating. So, we want a distrobuted strain sensor that can cover a larger length. Just monitoring the reflection data will tell you if there is a change in strain but it will not tell you where it is along the grating.

This can be found outby finding the phase information as well as the reflection data. In my case, we are using what is called Layer Peeling to extract the strain infroamtion from the phase and reflection. It works quite well but my predesessor who was developing the measurment system left the strain profile in dφ/dλ and not in any strain units.

None of the papers he kept and no amount of searching through the mountain of papers on strain sensing on the internet seem to give the linear scaing factor needed to convert dφ/dλ to strain.

My part involves taking the system that he has produced and testing it against existing systems. I do not know the full details of the matematics involved and I can not understand what might need to be done to convert dφ/dλ to strain.

If anyone could help me out on this it would save me a whole lot more searching. it is out there somewhere I just don't know where to look. It is a simple linear factor I am told.
dφ/dλ

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm four years behind on this post, but is this something you are still working on? I could help you out and would like to hear more about what you're working with.

1. What is Distributed Strain Sensing with FO Bragg Gratings?

Distributed Strain Sensing with Fiber Optic (FO) Bragg Gratings is a technique used to measure strain or deformation in a structure or material in real-time. It involves embedding fiber optic sensors with Bragg gratings along the length of the structure, which act as strain sensors and can detect changes in strain at any point along the fiber.

2. How does Distributed Strain Sensing with FO Bragg Gratings work?

The FO Bragg Grating sensors work through the principle of wavelength shift. As the structure or material experiences strain, the wavelength of light reflected by the Bragg grating changes. This change in wavelength is then measured and correlated to the amount of strain at that point along the fiber, providing a distributed strain profile of the structure.

3. What are the advantages of using Distributed Strain Sensing with FO Bragg Gratings?

One of the main advantages of this technique is its ability to provide real-time, continuous monitoring of strain over a large area. It also offers high accuracy, reliability, and durability, as the sensors are embedded within the structure and therefore less susceptible to damage or environmental factors.

4. What are the applications of Distributed Strain Sensing with FO Bragg Gratings?

This technique has a wide range of applications, including structural health monitoring of bridges, buildings, and pipelines, as well as monitoring of oil and gas wells, geotechnical structures, and aerospace structures. It can also be used in manufacturing processes to ensure quality control and detect defects in materials.

5. What are the limitations of Distributed Strain Sensing with FO Bragg Gratings?

One limitation of this technique is the high cost of installation and equipment. It also requires specialized training and expertise to properly interpret the data collected. Additionally, the sensors may be affected by temperature changes, which can lead to inaccuracies in the strain measurements.