Dittus Boelter coefficient M range

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of obtaining a coefficient greater than 1 in the Dittus Boelter correlation for Nusselt number, with a suggested literature recommendation for further learning.
Martin Beer
Hello, I am doing Dittus Boelter correlation for Nusselt number accroding to my measured data. Coefficient (or constant) M that is related to Re has (in my case) value of 1.12. Is it physically possible to get value greater than 1? In my previous research, I've only met with a value of less than one, so I am little bit confused. Thanks for answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Martin Beer said:
Hello, I am doing Dittus Boelter correlation for Nusselt number accroding to my measured data. Coefficient (or constant) M that is related to Re has (in my case) value of 1.12. Is it physically possible to get value greater than 1? In my previous research, I've only met with a value of less than one, so I am little bit confused. Thanks for answer.
In my judgment, it is conceptually possible to get an exponent greater than 1. In practice, as you know, there is abundant data that indicates that it is about 0.8.

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it. Could you recommend some suitable literature for me to learn more about it?

Martin Beer said:
Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it. Could you recommend some suitable literature for me to learn more about it?
Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena.

What is the Dittus Boelter coefficient M range?

The Dittus Boelter coefficient M range is a dimensionless number used in heat transfer calculations to determine the convective heat transfer coefficient between a fluid and a solid surface.

How is the Dittus Boelter coefficient M range calculated?

The Dittus Boelter coefficient M range is calculated using the Reynolds number, Prandtl number, and the ratio of the fluid's specific heat to the wall's thermal conductivity. The formula is M = (Re)^(0.8) * (Pr)^(1/3).

What is the significance of the Dittus Boelter coefficient M range in heat transfer?

The Dittus Boelter coefficient M range is used to determine the convective heat transfer coefficient, which is an essential parameter in heat transfer calculations. It helps to determine the rate of heat transfer between a fluid and a solid surface.

What is the range of values for the Dittus Boelter coefficient M range?

The range of values for the Dittus Boelter coefficient M range is typically between 0.5 and 0.8 for laminar flow and between 0.2 and 0.4 for turbulent flow.

How does the Dittus Boelter coefficient M range vary with different fluids and surfaces?

The Dittus Boelter coefficient M range can vary significantly depending on the fluid properties and surface characteristics. For example, it is higher for fluids with higher Prandtl numbers and for rougher surfaces. It also varies with the flow regime, with higher values for turbulent flow compared to laminar flow.