Diver speed and angle, basketball shot distance, baseball catch distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
actingjsg
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
i have a few questions that i need help with. thanks! =)


A diver dives from the edge of a swimming pool and lands in the pool 5.7 m away 0.82 seconds later. With what speed did the diver dive? at what angle? assume the diver lands at the same height he started from.


A 2m tall basketball player shoots a ball at an angle of 51 degrees from horizontal. He released the ball even with the top of his head. It passes through the rim (3.05 m above the floor) 1.1 seconds later. How far was the player from the basket?

A baseball is hit at 30 m/s at an angle of 53 degrees. At the instand the ball was hit, an outfielder runs towards the infield at a constant velocity of 4.0 m/s and catches the ball at the same height from which it was hit. How far was the outfielder initially from the batter?


Can someone explain how to do this/what the answer would be?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MooMansun said:
Looks like homework. :)
1. speed= Distance / time.
5.7 m / 0.82 seconds = 6.951219512195121951219512195122 m/sec.
As for the rest I think this should help...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile

Thats actually incorrect. From looking at your other thread, your understanding of physics isn't really one which gives you a position to be helping people..:rolleyes: :frown:
 
actingjsg - Can you tell us what you've tried already?

Edit: Oh, wait. I already said that. I take it you posted this elsewhere as well, and it was moved here? Well, now I feel like a doofus. Please pick one of the threads and let us know where you are.
 
It is correct, but it's not particularly helpful when the object is accelerating.
 
Oh, right. I see your problem.

I'll try to be more specific if replying to someone, sorry.
 
MooMansun said:
Average speed= Distance / time is incorrect?
The number given is not even the total distance traversed; it is the total displacement.