Basketball shot with just x and y distance and angle

  • Thread starter Thread starter IAmPat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle Basketball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
IAmPat
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



At its farthest point, the three-point line is 7.24 meters away from the basket in the NBA. A basketball player stands at this Int point and releases his shot from a height of 2.05 meters at a 35.0 degree angle. The basket is 3.05 meters off the ground.
The player wants the ball to go directly in (no bank shots). At what speed should he throw the ball?

Change in Y = 1 meter
Change in X = 7.24 meters
Angle Theta = 35.0
Vx = ?
Vy = ?
Voy = Initial Y Velocity
Vox = Initial X Velocity
t = ?


Homework Equations



Vox = Vo * Cos(35)
Voy = Vo * Sn(35)
Change Y = Voy*t + 1/2*(-9.8)*(t^2)



The Attempt at a Solution



Been attempting for days. I feel like I don't have enough information to complete the problem. If I had the initial x or y velocity, or the time it took to get from 0 to 7.24 I could do the problem easily, but I don't know how to get those with just this information.

I need to find the velocity at which he should shoot to make it straight into the basket
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pat! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

call the speed v, and do x and y equations separately, to find t

(obviously, it has to be the same t !)

then eliminate t :wink:​
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Pat! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

call the speed v, and do x and y equations separately, to find t

(obviously, it has to be the same t !)

then eliminate t :wink:​


I'm confused as to which x and y equations you're referring to. Won't I still not have enough information to get any of the variables?
 
(just got up :zzz: …)
IAmPat said:
I'm confused as to which x and y equations you're referring to.

Sorry :redface: … by x I meant horizontal, and by y I meant vertical.
Won't I still not have enough information to get any of the variables?

Try it and see! :smile: