Divergent sequence (Hanym's question at Yahoo Answers)

In summary, the question is asking for the limit of a sequence, specifically the limit of (e^2n + 6n)^1/2. The response suggests two different approaches to finding the limit: using the inequality n^{1/2} > K to show that the sequence approaches infinity, and using properties of elementary functions and the Algebra of divergent sequences to show that the limit is also infinity.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

an= (e^2n + 6n) ^1/2

Here is a link to the question:

Find the limit of sequence? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Hanym,

I suppose you meant $e^{2n}$, not $e^2n$. One way: we have $a_n=(e^{2n} + 6n) ^{1/2}>n^{1/2}$. Suppose $K>0$ then, $n^{1/2}>K\Leftrightarrow n>K^2$. Choosing $n_0=\lfloor K^2\rfloor+1$, if $n\ge n_0$ then $n^{1/2}>K$ and this means that $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to +\infty}n^{1/2}=+\infty$. As a consequence, $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to +\infty}a_n=+\infty$.

Alternatively, you can use well known properties of elementary functions and the Algebra of divergent sequences: $$\lim_{n\to +\infty}a_n=((+\infty)+(+\infty))^{1/2}=(+\infty)^{1/2}=+\infty$$

1. What is a divergent sequence?

A divergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that does not have a finite limit. This means that as the sequence continues, the numbers become increasingly larger or smaller without approaching a specific value.

2. How is a divergent sequence different from a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that has a finite limit. This means that as the sequence continues, the numbers approach a specific value. In contrast, a divergent sequence does not approach a specific value and instead continues to increase or decrease.

3. What are some examples of divergent sequences?

One example is the sequence of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, ...), as it continues to increase without a limit. Another example is the sequence of reciprocals of natural numbers (1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ...), as it continues to decrease without a limit.

4. What are some real-life applications of divergent sequences?

Divergent sequences can be used in finance to model the growth or decline of investments over time. They can also be used in physics to describe the behavior of systems that do not reach a steady state.

5. How can I determine if a sequence is divergent or convergent?

One way to determine if a sequence is divergent or convergent is to calculate its limit. If the limit exists and is a finite value, the sequence is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the sequence is divergent. Other methods, such as the comparison test or the ratio test, can also be used to determine convergence or divergence of a sequence.