DNA computer unbeaten at tic tac toe: Nature.com

In summary, a DNA computer named MAYA has achieved a perfect record in tic tac toe against human opponents, winning over 100 games. This breakthrough shows the potential of DNA computers to exhibit intelligence and solve complex problems efficiently. Coupled with advancements in quantum computing, the future of computing looks promising.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A DNA computer called MAYA has won every game of tic tac toe it has played against human opponents - over 100 in all.

http://www.nature.com/nsu/030818/030818-9.html

Computer science news on Phys.org
No offense, but so what?

When I was 16 I memorized my own discovered entire pattern for winning every possible tic tac toe game...and have 100% of my games since.

Except when playing against myself :)

thats not the point, the point is that its a computer made from DNA which has shown obvious intelligence, its the potential shown that matters :)

This must be a great sort of breakthrough, because (from what i know of DNA computers), although DNAis slow at doing things, it can work out huge huge huge huge huge huge huge (im talking, BIG here :D) things ina relatively short amount of time.

with this an qubits on the way the world of computing is looking very bright in the immediate future :P

One of the first programmes I wrote was a C tic-tac-toe, which could not lose. Either win or draw, never lose. It was quite nifty.

1. What is a DNA computer?

A DNA computer is a type of computer that uses DNA molecules to store and process information. It utilizes the unique properties of DNA, such as its ability to make copies of itself and perform chemical reactions, to perform calculations and solve problems.

2. How does a DNA computer play tic tac toe?

A DNA computer playing tic tac toe uses a process called "DNA strand displacement" to make moves on the game board. This process involves using short DNA strands to represent the game pieces and longer DNA strands to represent the game board. By manipulating these strands, the computer can make moves and determine the optimal strategy for winning the game.

3. Why is this achievement significant?

This achievement is significant because it demonstrates the potential for DNA computers to solve complex problems and outperform traditional computers in certain tasks. It also highlights the power of using biological systems to create efficient and sustainable computing technology.

4. Can DNA computers be used for other applications?

Yes, DNA computers have potential applications in various fields such as healthcare, cryptography, and data storage. They can be used to perform complex simulations, optimize drug designs, and store large amounts of data in a compact form.

5. What are the limitations of DNA computers?

One of the main limitations of DNA computers is their slow processing speed compared to traditional computers. They also require specialized equipment and techniques for operation, making them less accessible and practical for everyday use. Additionally, DNA computers are still in the early stages of development and further research is needed to fully understand their capabilities and limitations.