Do any of you Aussies recognise this location?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 1K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
Messages
16,110
Reaction score
8,519


When I first saw this [US] TV commercial a week or two ago, I was puzzled by the location and the trains. They don't match any of the commuter-train systems I've visited in the US. Of the ones I haven't visited, I know Seattle and Los Angeles use a different type of train. Maybe Denver, which is rather new? But Denver doesn't have an S train, although it does have an A train.

Finally I did a Google search, which revealed the answer: Sydney, Australia!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess after first seeing it a week or two ago was that it was a made-up TV set. There are severl reasons that I saw why that would not be a real train...

Especially when he magically steps out of the train wall back into the train station... :wink:
 
berkeman said:
Especially when he magically steps out of the train wall back into the train station... :wink:
Huh? He steps out of the doorway onto a different station, afaict. (The train has been moving while he was walking through it.)

[OMG, I came to hate Sydney trains many years ago. In my teenage years a friend of mine got bashed up at night on the way home from the NSW Chess Championships. My Mother insisted on driving all the way into the city to pick me up -- wise woman.]
 
jtbell said:
Finally I did a Google search, which revealed the answer: Sydney, Australia!
Yep, many of them look like that. You can experience them yourself if you arrive at Sydney Airport - domestic or international, it doesn't matter - there is a line to the CBD under the airport and while the airport is not far in distance, it is in time during peak driving hours, so unless you've tons of luggage or money to burn, the train the most convenient transport into town.

You can also take one over the Harbour Bridge on the northern lines, and if you sit in the upper levels at a window on the left side facing the front of the train, the view is excellent 👍
 
I've encountered such seating when in Sydney, Australia, back in June 2016.
 
I spent several minutes slow-mo-ing through that commercial a couple of weeks ago trying to figure out which station it was. But it seemed like they sort of anonymized it, at least the signs. My wife was guessing it was Mascot but I think that's just because we'd been through there a bunch of times.