What voltage/current/power meter do you use in your (hobby) projects?

In summary: Coldfusion makes a decent-looking power meter that is $125. There are other brands, but $125 is a bit overkill for me.
HomeExperiement
Hi!

I am looking for some volt, amp, watt meter ideas. If I google "ac peak voltage for 230v" then it says: "The UK mains supply is 230V AC, this means 230V RMS so the peak voltage of the mains is about 320V". Does this mean that voltmeter that is rated for 80-300V AC will burn down when plugged into 230V outlet? Then for 230V I should try to get voltmeter that is rated for 500V?

I would also like to know what are european brands that make such multifunctional meters that you would recommend? If I search for voltmeters then All I ever find is this chinese stuff but are there really no one who makes these in europe - I don't have anything against chinese stuff - if I happen to find something that works for me then I would buy it, just want to know what else is on the market? Or what do you use let's say with variac where minimum is 0V?

By chance I happened to find than in US there is Coldfusion who seems to make a decent looking power meter such as https://www.lightobject.com/Electronics/Digital-Panel-Meter/PowerWatt-meter/Programmable-Triple-Displays-Digital-AC-Single-Phase-Power-Watt-Meterone. But are there anyone else out there $125 seems overkill for me?

From chinese market one meter that I noticed looks this:
meter1.PNG

It can start measuring from 0V (range is 0-500V, requires external DC power supply) which is what I was looking for but black digits are a bit difficult difficult to read from distances greater than 1 meter.

Another chinese meter that shows V, A, W looks like this:
meter2.PNG

To me such digits seem to be a bit easier to read from further distance - specially if they were 1 or 2 mm bigger. But for me the cons is that it does start to measure from 80V (range is 80V-300V). I can't measure 0V.

Apart from that I have found few other models but most of them measure the same source that they use as power source and therefore are unable to measure low voltages (70V and less). I know that Watts are Volts * Amps but for convenience - specially if volts change often - it would be good if it had watts also.

Since I am not in a rush with that I thought I would ask here what meters do you use for your projects and what brands do you know (other than chinese - again if you use some cheap aliexpress meter that displays V, A, W and can start from 0v you can let me know that also)?

I am currently interested in these integrated displays rather than handheld multimeters. Also, what should I google for if I want to know who else make those? If I google for voltmerers then I mostly only get multimeters and all integrated displays I find are those no brand chinese meters - which are not bad but I just want to know what else exists in the world before deciding anything. Is there any specific search term that would bring such displays up?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
AC supplies are stated as the RMS value. You do not want to include the word "peak" in your search. When the meter reads 230V it means 230V RMS.

Likes HomeExperiement
I suggest searching for Digital Panel Meter or Analogue Panel Meter, depending on your requirements. Lots available.

Likes HomeExperiement

1. What is the purpose of a voltage/current/power meter in a hobby project?

A voltage/current/power meter is used to measure the electrical properties of a circuit, such as voltage, current, and power. This can help hobbyists ensure that their circuits are functioning properly and can also aid in troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

2. What types of voltage/current/power meters are available for hobby projects?

There are various types of voltage/current/power meters available for hobby projects, including analog and digital meters. Analog meters use a needle or gauge to display readings, while digital meters use a numeric display. There are also specialized meters for measuring specific types of electrical properties, such as multimeters for measuring multiple properties at once.

3. How do I choose the right voltage/current/power meter for my project?

The right meter for your project will depend on the specific electrical properties you need to measure and the accuracy and precision required. Consider the range of values you will be measuring, the type of display you prefer, and any additional features you may need, such as data logging.

4. Can I use a voltage/current/power meter for both AC and DC circuits?

It depends on the specific meter you are using. Some meters are designed for only AC or DC circuits, while others have the capability to measure both. Be sure to check the specifications of the meter before use.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a voltage/current/power meter?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using any electrical equipment. Be sure to read the instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, always use the appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, and make sure the circuit is properly disconnected and de-energized before taking any measurements.