Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Do astronomers at the 3,000 dollar level become degenerates

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1
    Do astronomers at the 3,000 dollar level become degenerates, in a way, with their huge optics? Once you have seen Hubble's and other huge observatories pictures, I'd think you'd never be satisfied. I plan on buying a $3,000 scope before I pass.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My take on that is that once you get to that mid-level, you're starting to get close to the type of pictures taken by professionals. And here's why: while the Hubble has access to literally billions of interesting objects, and yes, every one is unique in some way, but there is a lot of repetition. Ie, there are only a handful of types of spiral galaxies and all look somewhat similar. Perhaps you can only see 100 of them with a $3000 telescope while Hubble can see a billion, but the pictures you take won't look all that much different. I've seen side-by-side comparisons, but can't seem to find any right now.

http://www.waid-observatory.com/gallery-nebulae.html" [Broken] guy is using a telescope that retails for $4000 (the newest, best version of it, anyway) and a camera of the level he's using probably costs another $800 today.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook