1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Guidelines to studying linear algebra and statistics.

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

I'll try to be concise. I've been out of math for years and never truly learned to understand it. Until now. I want to put the growth mindset theory to the test and see if I can handle physics (or any STEM field) on a university difficulty. To verify if I'm up to it and even have the slightest chance, I enrolled in a credit contract for linear algebra, statistics and philosophy in a university. If I pass I'll enroll for all the credits next year.

It has been 2 months since my first class and it's incredible how much I've learned. The thing that worries me is that it's mostly high school math that I've relearned and I'm terribly behind on both linear algebra and statistics. I had never seen derivatives and integrals before. Not that you need that to full extent on those subjects, but still, my all around intuition for math was way off so revisiting math was key.

My initial plan was to learn math on my own until the new academic year started (which is five months from now) and then enroll full time. Instead I enrolled mid year. Which was probably the best thing I could have done, since it pushes me to keep working. But I feel I'm falling behind too much (expectedly) and I really want the best shot at passing.

Right now I'm on Khan Academy for math, and I also use PF if I have troubles with some problems. I've got until the third of june to study as best as I can for these three courses. Then the exams start. I feel this should be plenty of time to comprehend and pass these 3 first year courses. However I think I might have the wrong strategy in tackling my deficit in mathematical insight. I have no more classes in statistics, only a group assignment in R. Which in turn also worries me because I have to keep up to make that project.

I believe I can do it. Because at almost everything in the past I'd be a terribly slow learner at start. But normally once I get the basics, I can keep up. The question is if that will happen again now.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Focus on concepts, as opposed to memorizing equations.

What do you mean by linear algebra? As in vector spaces and transformations, etc.? Normally that's not something you take with/shortly after high school level math courses.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

Yeah, that's what I don't want to do in the first place, merely memorizing.

Linear algebra chapters:
    1. First degree equations and matrix systems
    2. Determinants
    3. Vector spaces
    4. Linear mapping and linear transformations
    5. Eigenvalues, eigenvectors and diagonalizability
    6. Dot products and Euclidean spaces

Statistics
    1. Intro
    2. Descriptive statistics
    3. Probability
    4. Univariate probability models
    5. Estimators and their distribution
    6. Univariate inference
    7. Bivariate probability models
    8. Bivariate inference
    9. Linear regression

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Well, I'm not sure about statistics, that's not my strong suit, but I would assume the same advice would apply.
    Read the chapter (or section). Follow/work through the worked examples. Make sure you understand them. Let the information digest. Take a break from reading/working and just think about it. Maybe get a little abstract with some "what if" questions. Try to answer those to yourself. Do the practice problems. If your resource doesn't have any, you can find some online, both conceptual and calculatory (can't think of the right word, hopefully you get the meaning).
    Repeat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted