Do dark matter and dark energy have an effect on the red shift?

In summary, dark matter and energy have significant effects on red shift phenomena. Dark matter contributes to the expansion of the universe while dark energy causes accelerated expansion. However, there is no direct relationship between the two concepts. It is also unlikely that expanding spacetime has any impact on the rest mass of fundamental particles.
kimbyd said:
I'm really not sure this kind of comparison is meaningful. The problem is that the initial conditions aren't fixed, and there's no good way to fix them. Certainly, a universe will more matter will have a lower expansion after a time t than a universe with more matter, provided that they both start with the same initial expansion rate.

But it's not at all clear that they would have the same initial expansion rate. Less dark matter means different high-energy laws of physics, which means lots of things would be different.
It seems to me that the same initial value of ##H## for both scenarios (more and less matter density) is possible by balancing a lower ##\rho## with a higher ##\Lambda##. So if we compare our universe like it is with another one having a lower matter density while ##\Lambda## remains the same then if I see it correctly ##H## should be different in both cases at any finite time and should approach the same value asymptotically after infinite time.

Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Hmm I understand it I guess , thanks. But what about "initial expansion rate". What it means ?
That's the expansion rate at a specific time in the past defined as "initial".

kimbyd said:
That's the expansion rate at a specific time in the past defined as "initial".
Hmm I see

PeterDonis said:
This is true for dark matter, but not for dark energy. Dark matter, like ordinary matter, causes light rays to converge, hence the phenomenon of gravitational lensing.

Dark energy, if it "clumped" as matter does, would cause light rays to diverge; I suppose one could call the phenomenon this would produce, if it occurred on a small scale, "gravitational anti-lensing". However, since the density of dark energy is uniform throughout the universe (unlike the density of dark matter and ordinary matter, both of which clump, though the former does so to a lesser extent than the latter), it has no effect on light rays at all, since any such effect requires a spatial variation in density.
How can we know this much about dark energy? Are there relevant observations?

Hendrik Boom said:
If we assume dark energy is an instance property of the space-time (or another words lambda (Λ)). It's easy to think like that.

Hendrik Boom said:
The short version is that it is impossible for dark energy to both clump and also result in an accelerated expansion.

Hendrik Boom said:

Dark energy is inferred based upon the expansion rate of the universe and changes in the expansion rate as measured with astronomy observations such as patterns of red shift in stars and the cosmic background radiation and neutrino merger data.