1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do employers care about where you graduated from?

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    do employers care about what school u went to or just that you have a degree? Or does experience play a greater role???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Do employers care about where u graduated from?

Yes they do.
    If you have an applicant that got into a school where they have 10 applicants for each place and somebody else who didnt try and went to the party school nearest home?

Ok in the USA with out of state fees etc this might be more complicated.

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3

It depends entirely upon the field you're interested in, so it's hard to generalize. I think it's safe to say that employers are more interested in experience (by the way, quality counts more than quantity) than where your degree is from; this is not to say that they don't care though - they do!

5. Aug 19, 2008 #4

Like Will said it depends on your field. I know for mechanical engineering it doesn't matter much at all. Many care about your GPA but not in the way you think. My last two employers would actually shy away 4.0 top school grads because they just couldn't handle real world engineering. In my experience employers mostly care about your previous experience, your hobbies/interests(engineering aptitude), and your personality (mechanically inclined, your drive, spacial thinking).

6. Aug 19, 2008 #5

In my experience, where you have graduated from mostly plays a roll in determining your initial salary. It can also help you obtain an interview, since some companies only visit certain campuses. However, with the dawn of online resume submittal systems, this sort of levels out that perk.

So, in the end, just do the best you can anywhere you go.

Edit - I should mention that this is from my experience in the engineering field. I don't know what the situation is like for other fields.

7. Aug 19, 2008 #6

School matters, but it's certainly not the most important factor. Relevant experience counts a lot more.

That said, with all else equal, the MIT grad is probably going to get the job instead of the State U grad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?