Do graduate schools see all of your grades?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
denjay
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
I'll be applying to graduate school this fall which is my second to last semester. Do they make the decision without seeing these grades?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

But it helps to send an enrollment card for the year to let them know what courses you're taking, especially if they're relevant to the research field you express an interest in.
 
Yes, they contact your university directly.
They can also ask for blind references (i.e. you won't be able to see what your referees write).
 
Usually the acceptance letter will say something like "conditional on your final grades".
 
I'm in the same position. Just to clarify, you all are saying that this semester (spring, junior) is the last semester that matters grade-wise?!? Would it be acceptable for me to not try as hard in my fall semester so that I can focus on applications, research, and my sport? I'm talking about willingly getting B's in the senior-level courses.
 
They will certainly see your fall grades before they decide, and they will have the option to rescind the offer if your spring grades are poor.

More to the point, though, do you really think it's a good idea to ask "just how little can I get away with learning during my last year?"
 
Vanadium 50 said:
They will certainly see your fall grades before they decide, and they will have the option to rescind the offer if your spring grades are poor.

More to the point, though, do you really think it's a good idea to ask "just how little can I get away with learning during my last year?"

It's more "Look how much I've improved since my first college semesters." I want them to see as many good grades as possible and the last semesters would be part of that.

Edit: Just realized you were talking to FiguringItOut. Oopsy poops.