1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do graduate schools see all of your grades?

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    I'll be applying to graduate school this fall which is my second to last semester. Do they make the decision without seeing these grades?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2
    Yes.

But it helps to send an enrollment card for the year to let them know what courses you're taking, especially if they're relevant to the research field you express an interest in.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    Yes, they contact your university directly.
    They can also ask for blind references (i.e. you won't be able to see what your referees write).

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Usually the acceptance letter will say something like "conditional on your final grades".

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    I'm in the same position. Just to clarify, you all are saying that this semester (spring, junior) is the last semester that matters grade-wise?!? Would it be acceptable for me to not try as hard in my fall semester so that I can focus on applications, research, and my sport? I'm talking about willingly getting B's in the senior-level courses.

7. Apr 13, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They will certainly see your fall grades before they decide, and they will have the option to rescind the offer if your spring grades are poor.

More to the point, though, do you really think it's a good idea to ask "just how little can I get away with learning during my last year?"

8. Apr 14, 2013 #7
    It's more "Look how much I've improved since my first college semesters." I want them to see as many good grades as possible and the last semesters would be part of that.

Edit: Just realized you were talking to FiguringItOut. Oopsy poops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook