1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Do I need a Ph.d to start a Biomedical engineering business?

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1
    I am very ambitious and want to start a business one day that will invent new technologies that will change the healthcare industry. Will I need a Ph.D for this? or will a Masters be enough?

I'm pretty sure inventing these new technologies will require someone doing research, which is why I'm asking if I will need a Ph.D.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't usually need any sort of qualification to start a business or do research. You may need some sort of certification to call yourself any kind of engineer though. Similarly it is kinda hard to start an engineering company without hiring at least one engineer.
    Basically your biggest hurdle is money.

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3
    Indeed, if you can talk investors into giving you money, you can hire people with whatever skills you have.

5. Sep 6, 2016 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think at the heart of your question is another question - at what point will you yourself understand enough about the technology you work with and the research ad development process that you can create viable inventions?

Generally speaking, the further your education on the matter, the better position you will be in. But education is not the be-all and end-all. It's a component.

When planning your route, you might want to design in (to the best of your ability) such that the PhD is an option. If you complete a master's degree and decide you would like to know more about the field and want to further refine your research skills, the a PhD is probably the way to go. Further, you could look to get involved in a project that can lead into a start up company. Many universities have programs designed to help researchers bridge the gap between initial idea and viable commercial product, and this kind of help could make the difference for someone otherwise starting out on his or her own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted