Do I have what it takes to be a biomedical engineer?

In summary: I have found that I am not as good of a math person as I thought I was, but I have found that I excel in problem solving and problem solving skills. I am confident that if I put my mind to it, I can improve my math skills.Overall, I believe that if you have a passion for the field and are willing to put in the work, you can overcome any weaknesses you may have. You should definitely consider pursing biomedical engineering if you have the interest and are willing to put in the hard work.
12-6Curveball
Right now I'm a high school student thinking about college. One of the majors I'm considering is biomedical engineering, but my dilemma is that I'm not very good at physics (averaged a B in AP Physics B and got a 2 on the exam) and I'm not outstanding in math (although I did average a B in AP Calculus AB and got a 5 in the exam).

However, I LOVE biology and I'm fascinated by chemistry as well. I also love designing and building things, as evidenced by my countless Lego inventions and creativity in my tech classes.

I've heard that I would have to be VERY good at math and physics to be a good engineer, and one of my friends even suggested that I don't go into engineering because of my lack of skills in physics.

Another question I have is: how much math and physics goes into biomedical engineering? I'm just really concerned about my struggles in physics and math, and although I believe I can improve on those skills, I might be lagging behind everyone else because of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate questions like these, because the answer is always almost, who knows?

From my time in the military to my time in college, there has been one consistent lesson I have learned that rings true regardless of the situtation you find yourself. Are you willing to overcome the struggles you have right now in order to achieve the objective set before yourself? If the answer is yes, then what's stopping you?

Fear and doubt is part of life, my simple advice is, get over it and go after what you want. Your friends who tell you others won't have to live with the choices that you have to make, so ignore the negativity, and prepare to focus, struggle, and work your *** off to one day succeed, it's that simple.

Lots of engineers don't take AP Physics in high school, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You are probably ahead of the curve at this point. Even if you had passed the exam, you'd still want to repeat Physics in college if you were pursuing Engineering or Physics. With that same thought, you might consider repeating Calculus 1 in college to gain that extra familiarity with the subject even though you can technically place out of it. It will serve you well if you're just "average," although I bet you're selling yourself short. Go for it. You can always switch your major if you fail at engineering :wink:

At least you have some exposure to calc and physics. My high school did not offer these so I had to try much harder compared to other students (and therefore did better). I ended up liking it so much that I switched out of engineering and now I'm in physics. Good luck!

My program requires 2 semesters of engineering physics, 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of chemistry, and 1 semester of organic chemistry for my biomedical engineering plan. I personally believe that taking a multidisciplinary approach to working with science is essential.

I'm similar to you with respect to the creative side. This continues to assist me greatly in chemistry and other areas.

Last edited:

1. What skills do I need to have to be a successful biomedical engineer?

As a biomedical engineer, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in biology and physics. You should also have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as strong communication and teamwork abilities. Additionally, having a strong understanding of computer science and technology is beneficial in this field.

2. Do I need to have a specific degree to become a biomedical engineer?

While most biomedical engineers hold a degree in biomedical engineering, other degrees such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or biology can also lead to a career in this field. It is important to have a strong understanding of both engineering principles and biological systems.

3. What types of projects do biomedical engineers typically work on?

Biomedical engineers work on a wide range of projects, from developing medical devices and equipment to designing and conducting experiments for new medical treatments. They may also work on improving existing medical technologies or creating new diagnostic tools.

4. Is a career in biomedical engineering financially rewarding?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for biomedical engineers in 2019 was $91,410. However, salary can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. Overall, a career in biomedical engineering can be financially rewarding, but it is important to consider your personal interests and passions when choosing a career path.

5. What are some challenges that biomedical engineers may face?

Some challenges that biomedical engineers may face include navigating the complex regulations and ethical considerations surrounding medical devices and treatments, working with constantly evolving technology and techniques, and collaborating with a diverse team of professionals. Additionally, biomedical engineers may face pressure to meet strict deadlines and budgets in their work.