1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Do I need Physics and Calculus in HS for uni?

1. Apr 27, 2017 #1
    I am very clueless when it comes to prepping for university and things like that, and as a grade 11 going into grade 12 soon, I unfortunately have to figure it out one day or another. So, I have a few quick questions, would I need Physics 30 or Calculus/Math 31 in order to become a family physician? What universities courses would I take in order to become a family physician? Any med school recommendations? Any help dealing with this will help. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2017 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Family physician, any kind of physician or Medical Doctor, or any, ANY of the natural sciences or engineering (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, all kinds of Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, ...) will require at a very minimum at university, Introductory and Intermediate Algebra, Geometry (with proofs), Trigonometry, "College Algebra" or Precalculus, three-semester sequence of Calculus With Analytic Geometry, and often one or two more courses usually Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, or a combination course of both,... and more if you want or can handle or need more.

The absolute minimum:
    One semester Trigonometry,
    Three semester sequence of Calculus with Analytic Geometry.
    You do those IN COLLEGE or the university.

A course in Statistics may also be necessary.

4. Apr 28, 2017 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your title question: Do you need Calculus in high school, if you want to be a... physician?

NO. Try hard to study Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Trigonometry/Mathematical Analysis, while in high school.
    WHY?
    You must become good at most of those, especially Algebra so you can be qualified to study Trigonometry and Calculus.

5. Apr 28, 2017 #4
    I agree. You don't need to take physics or calculus in high school for your career path. You'll definitely be taking them as an undergraduate. If you can take these topics in high school, it would probably a great help in your performance in those topics when you take them university. You probably should try to get a non-calculus physics course in HS if possible for the below reason.

I don't know anything about med school. But if you're doing it in the USA, you need to take the MCAT if I'm not mistaken. Looking at the topic list, you definitely need to learn precalculus based physics well as that's covered. Calculus is not listed in the expected math knowledge to solve the science exam sections.

https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-topics-list/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted